Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on techniques/baits/lures/time of day/locations for shore fishing in July and August? I'm fairly new to things but my understanding is that lots of the fish move deeper in summer which makes shore fishing more difficult. I'll be bringing my gear along to a few camping trips in Whiteshell and Nopiming, but I'm happy to learn about what works in the hot weather anywhere in Manitoba.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Fishing is all about odds. Everyone who fishes long enough will have stories about catching fish where they shouldn't be, when they shouldn't be, with something they shouldn't be biting on. It happens because it's all about odds, fish long enough and something will happen, but you want to increase your odds so it happens more consistently.

You can definitely catch fish from shore in the summer, but not as easily as in the fall or spring. To increase your odds: Fish in early morning or evening, fish right before rain (Not sure if it is the pressure dropping or bugs coming out or a combination but it works), small pike will be in shallow weed beds all summer so find shore access that have them, get a 7 foot rod so you are casting further out (If you have a 6 or 6'6 rod it might not seem like much but again it's the little things that add up to increase your odds). There are lost of other things I'm missing (And others will mention them), but its all the little things you do that increase your odds.

·
Administrator
1,420 Posts
You can catch perch with a bobber and worm setup.

Small pike can be caught with a spoon in the shallow weeds.

Sometimes bass can be caught in rocky areas.

I'll admit summer shore fishing isn't the greatest. It's hot and crowded. If you want to really spend a full day fishing in that area I feel like some sort of watercraft is required. Even with a canoe or kayak you can really accomplish a lot in the Whiteshell and Nopiming. Boat rentals can be helpful especially where they offer backcountry rentals.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can catch perch with a bobber and worm setup.

Small pike can be caught with a spoon in the shallow weeds.

Sometimes bass can be caught in rocky areas.

I'll admit summer shore fishing isn't the greatest. It's hot and crowded. If you want to really spend a full day fishing in that area I feel like some sort of watercraft is required. Even with a canoe or kayak you can really accomplish a lot in the Whiteshell and Nopiming. Boat rentals can be helpful especially where they offer backcountry rentals.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
Thanks to both posters for their advice. I'll probably have a canoe with me for the Nopiming trip. Fishing isn't the main objective of either trip, but it's fun to sneak off for a bit in the morning or evening and throw the line in. It's even more fun when you catch something.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Try a slip bobber rig with tiny pieces of worm off the Selkirk pier and you'll catch goldeye and drum. Check Jay Siemens YouTube channel he did a show about it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts