Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ventured out to either of these locations?
I would think Rush Bay is well on its way and Shoal should be getting there. With all the snow that came down last week in eastern Ontario it should be good for snowmobiles.
How's the ice?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Has anyone ventured out to either of these locations?
I would think Rush Bay is well on its way and Shoal should be getting there. With all the snow that came down last week in eastern Ontario it should be good for snowmobiles.
How's the ice?
Nothing on Shoal for you but a friend of mine lives in Kenora and he called me a week ago and ice is sketchy even for walking on right now. He has mentioned Rush and Clearwater Bay areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
10 inches of ice reported in Darlington Bay

Kenora Online had a story about people ice fishing on Darlington Bay weekend of Dec 16-17 2017 they said there was 10 inches of ice at the bridge,dont know how relevant this is about any where else but it is promising.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I would think Shoal has a ways to go. It's often last to freeze and last to melt in Spring.

I don't have any current info for both, other than, that area got 13" of snow when the parts that froze were only a couple inches thick....so sketchy all around. Gonna be a bad slush situation for quite some time I think.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Slush is caused by the weight of the snow pushing ice down, pressure from the weight will force water up on top of ice.

If you've been stuck in a slush pocket, you know it's more than an inconvenience. It can be downright dangerous. (You're wet, your means of transport is dead in the slush and you may be a long way from dry heat). There are other problems associated with that situation too.

Also, ice that is sitting below water line will be weaker.

Good news is that as we read this, the slush will be freezing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just back from small remote lakes north of kenora 6 to 10 inches of ice with some slush pockets just keep it pinned seems safe enough for snow machines altho as they say "the ice is never safe"way to cold to sit on the ice fishing so nothing to report there.Talked to some contractors at Clearwater gas station who said the slush issue was huge 2 weeks ago but the cold seems to have resolved that ,good luck and be safe

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just back from small remote lakes north of kenora 6 to 10 inches of ice with some slush pockets just keep it pinned seems safe enough for snow machines altho as they say "the ice is never safe"way to cold to sit on the ice fishing so nothing to report there.Talked to some contractors at Clearwater gas station who said the slush issue was huge 2 weeks ago but the cold seems to have resolved that ,good luck and be safe

Thx for the update. Much appreciated
Have not been out this week but hope to once this cold snap eases up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wondering if anyone has any information on access? Are there ice roads to shoal? Ice thickness? I’d love to drive on with a truck if possible as I don’t have a sled. Recently saw bass on MA app and would love to try and catch them through the ice. Any tips/info would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
84 Posts
The ice road coming out of Rush Bay was already deteriorating when I was out on the weekend.. slush on the road. We were on snowmobile. Only seen 1 truck on the ice all weekend and it was just west of the landing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.