Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was out the other day, I cruised up to a spot in my boat and set anchor. When I turned around to grab my rod, another boat just snuck in right behind me about 25 yards away using spot lock. I didn't say anything. I was catching but they weren't. The bite slowed so I moved to another spot and guess what, the same boat came by 5 minutes later, but this time set up even closer, directly upwind of me. They were so close, they blocked the worst of the wind and waves from my boat but I was still bobbing up and down pretty good. I ignored them and turned by back to them and focused on fishing. Once again, I started catching while they weren't, likely due to technique and jigging cadence. Some time went by and all of a sudden, I felt something crash into my boat. A bit of a scary feeling! I turned around to see that same boat bumping into my boat. The two occupants apologized profusely and then immediately left the entire area. It is likely that their battery(s) ran out of juice, killing the spot lock and the wind did the rest. Unfortunately shithawking has become part of fishing. People don't seem to have any pride left these days. I try to avoid fishing on weekends but the problem seems to be getting worse and worse.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I've seen it work both ways. Several years ago we fished Pine Falls exclusively through September and October. Some days we did very well and I made the mistake of posting on this Forum with pictures from our boats. Soon thereafter, there would be fisherman waiting at the launch who would follow us out to Traverse Bay and set up near us.
This past summer we were fishing Hecla on the Black Island side. Not catching much we decided to move to the middle of the channel. There were two boats anchored in the middle. I worked slowly around the boats with my electric as I wanted to see what depth they were fishing.
The guy in the plastic boat shouted at me "Hey, you guys want to get into my boat"? First time in 70 years of fishing that I've ever had anyone yell at me for being too close. I wasn't closer than 25 yards and did not anchor near them.

·
Administrator
1,453 Posts
Especially with spotlock I could never park so close to someone. All it takes is for someone to accidentally bump the remote or foot pedal or even a minor GPS signal loss to disengage it. Often it takes while to register that something isn't right, which caused a few close calls (not with other boats but the shoreline).

·
Registered
17 Posts
When I was out the other day, I cruised up to a spot in my boat and set anchor. When I turned around to grab my rod, another boat just snuck in right behind me about 25 yards away using spot lock. I didn't say anything. I was catching but they weren't. The bite slowed so I moved to another spot and guess what, the same boat came by 5 minutes later, but this time set up even closer, directly upwind of me. They were so close, they blocked the worst of the wind and waves from my boat but I was still bobbing up and down pretty good. I ignored them and turned by back to them and focused on fishing. Once again, I started catching while they weren't, likely due to technique and jigging cadence. Some time went by and all of a sudden, I felt something crash into my boat. A bit of a scary feeling! I turned around to see that same boat bumping into my boat. The two occupants apologized profusely and then immediately left the entire area. It is likely that their battery(s) ran out of juice, killing the spot lock and the wind did the rest. Unfortunately shithawking has become part of fishing. People don't seem to have any pride left these days. I try to avoid fishing on weekends but the problem seems to be getting worse and worse.
Definitely love the saying shithawking they are looking for pointers and can’t say they didn’t learn anything! I’m in the same boat on less people for weekday fishing to true!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Their actions were reckless and that was likely criminal endangerment. We're talking Lake Winnipeg going into fall with temps dropping. It is basically like tailgating someone in a car and then running into them due to faulty brakes - there is no excuse as basically careless stupidity that is easily avoided and uncalled for. Would they have helped you if they sank you? No guarantees given we are talking two reckless dimwits. If it were me I would have taken photos, plates, etc and reported to COs and the Federal boating regulators to have his boating licence revoked - that's me though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Their actions were reckless and that was likely criminal endangerment. We're talking Lake Winnipeg going into fall with temps dropping. It is basically like tailgating someone in a car and then running into them due to faulty brakes - there is no excuse as basically careless stupidity that is easily avoided and uncalled for. Would they have helped you if they sank you? No guarantees given we are talking two reckless dimwits. If it were me I would have taken photos, plates, etc and reported to COs and the Federal boating regulators to have his boating licence revoked - that's me though.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Not unheard of at the popular community spots at Hecla, (or Pine Falls) strange boats getting into regular talking distance to another boat....(15-20 yards) See it and have experienced all the time at Hecla all along the channel.

·
Registered
530 Posts
lirwin4.... are you surprised? everybody knows your boat I suppose. You'd be a magnet to shithawks.... especially on weekends.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lirwin4.... are you surprised? everybody knows your boat I suppose. You'd be a magnet to shithawks.... especially on weekends.
No, not surprised, just a little disappointed. I know there are some people who know me and my boat but to blatantly follow someone around is a bit much IMO. For me, it's more about courtesy. I don't have a problem if people ask first and then keep their distance a little better. Then I will often try to help them out, offering information and advice, to help them hopefully catch at least a few fish. I have had some good conversations with others that help kill the time during slow periods. Sometimes, other people are not shithawking and just happened to have found the same spots that you have. It happens more often than you would think.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Almost as bad as a few years back on the usual river spot when the shithawks set their tent about 5 feet upstream from yours, I will never forget that!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I can see that people using maps and setting waypoints and then going to them. Some spots are small enough that you will be close to another boat. That being said if I get to spot and someone else is there I’ll move to another spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
When I am out in the boat, I prefer to be by myself. If I see someone in a spot I am going to, I will generally just go and find another spot. A couple years ago I was sitting in my favourite walleye spot and this massive pontoon boat pulled up and literally did 2 wide circles around me, trolling. 360° around me twice. Infuriating, but they only caught a couple tiny pike (from what I could see) before they left.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Several years ago, LW middle of Feb., very nice zero degree fish outside type of day, lots of snow. Stop at a few spots then try to blaze a trail away from the crowds. I stop, pump a few holes, start to fish, about 1 hr later I hear a truck coming up.......stops behind my truck and starts honking, passenger yells out the window wondering why I would stop in the middle of the trail. I look over, yell back, "It's my fucken trail", see....no tracks in front of my truck......They get pissed off, hammer down and pull off my track but after about 50 yards get stuck outa' there face, high centered........they shovel for about an hour and a half and finally get out........as they're driving back by me, I shout......I could have pulled you out, all you needed to do is ask! LOL

·
Registered
164 Posts
Attaboy Cliff. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Last year on the East Side of Big Windy during the winter:

The kids and I walk out about a mile in the snow (no truck access where we had chosen to fish). There was about a foot of snow, no tracks and I was pulling a good size sled with all the gear (otter resort, 20lbs tank, auger, electronics, rods etc.) and two little ones riding on top. I figure about 3-400lbs of gear and kids together. Anyway, I get out to my preferred depth with no one in sight. The sun is out and despite feeling like I'm going to have a heart attack from dragging the sled, the setup goes easy with the holes drilled, tent up and heater going in no time.

Just at the first lure goes down the hole, I hear two sleds rip by the tent. It sounds like they are right on top of me. Annoying but hey - maybe they followed my trail thinking I was on a snow machine. But then I hear the gas auger fire up - close enough I think it's maybe coming through the tent. I zip open the door of the shack and sure enough two fellows and one kid are drilling holes about 30 feet from our setup. Keep in mind we are 1.5 miles out on the ice with no one else in sight. I cannot believe it - I just had a heart attack to get into deep enough water and here's a guy with the whole lake to travel and he sets up right on top of me. I contemplated walking over and asking him to move but decided to just catch fish instead and let his kid enjoy the day.

In the end they fished 3 hours beside us and caught nothing - maybe a small one, not quite sure. Having livescopoe and a little luck on my side I was able to visibly and loudly put a few nice fish on the ice including one master. Karma can be a real bitch. With the livescope I could see the fish under their hole and their lines which left me giggling a bit through the day. The eyes were being real picky that day and sitting off a few feet watching the jigs and minnows for a while before committing.

Gotta love the big lake.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts