Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Was wondering if driving from Selkirk to Hecla is worth it over fishing the Red in mid October???
IMO, the greenback bite on the Red has been getting later and later in recent years. Other than some dinks and the odd bigger fish, it doesn't really start until mid October and then takes a while before it really gets good. With reduced clarity from the muddier waters on the Red, numbers are also considerably lower.

·
Registered
330 Posts
IMO, the greenback bite on the Red has been getting later and later in recent years. Other than some dinks and the odd bigger fish, it doesn't really start until mid October and then takes a while before it really gets good. With reduced clarity from the muddier waters on the Red, numbers are also considerably lower.
I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

unless something changes I doubt I'll be on the Red this fall. By the time its worth while i can have my fill many other places.

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's what we were thinking. We come up the 10/20 for 4 days. We have fished the Red in October since 2005, and will probably try Hecla for the 1st time in the fall. I did fish it for the first time in June and did pretty well. We did try just north of Winnipeg beach last fall for a day and had decent success, but nothing crazy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts