Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven’t fished lake Winnipeg in summer but would like to start. Can you go up the red river into lake winnipeg and fish or is it better to go to boat launch at lake winnipeg. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,399 Posts
I haven’t fished lake Winnipeg in summer but would like to start. Can you go up the red river into lake winnipeg and fish or is it better to go to boat launch at lake winnipeg. Thanks.

It's a fair jaunt, need to know the river and stick to the main channel, it does get a little confusing up there, best to have a map. IMO, depending on were on the lake you intend to fish, Balsam Harbor and Winnipeg Beach are the closest lake launches in the south basin. With the low water this year, I can see it being really shallow at the mouth, even in typical years there are areas only a few feet deep. As well as some areas with nasty rocks!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
The center channel of the Red is navigable to the lake but it is a long haul up the river. Once you get to the lake, stay between the red and green buoys ( I don't think they are out yet) that mark the channel until they end. Outside of the channel, it is very shallow and rocky. On the West shore, Winnipeg Beach has a good harbored boat launch. A good map (not navionics) is a huge asset. A word of warning, Lake Winnipeg can get real nasty, real fast, especially when travelling a ways out from the boat launch. Even a 25 kmph wind can easily cause 3'+ waves. A 20' boat and watching the wind forecast on windfinder or windy.com is highly recommended!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes we went up there Saturday and got to the lake and there was a series of green and red buoys. We were to the right of the green buoy and depth finder was reading 1.8 feet so we went back into river.
Just thought it might be good idea if it got windy on lake could just duck back into river.
Are the launches on lake winnipeg okay to get boat off even if wind gets up?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Most launches on LW are located in protected harbours that are safe from the wind. Off hand, they include Hecla, Silver Harbour, Hnausa, Gimli, Winnipeg Beach, and I think Riverton on the West shore. I only know of Balsam Bay on the East shore but there are likely some more.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts