Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody got any knowledge of the Red river just north of the floodway gates. I see a few holes punched there and I know its a good spot in the summer but how is it in the winter?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I wouldn't drive on the area where the red and the floodway meet. It's often weaker ice so check the ice carefully.

There are some spots that are around 17 feet that might hold fish (Navionics ChartViewer - turn SonarCharts on to see the 1' contours).

·
Registered
201 Posts
If u look at the where the red river meets the floodway it makes kind of a Y. Draw a magical line down the red river and do not cross that line into where the floodway enters the river. If that makes sense. There is always open water there and is super dangerous.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I think he’s talking about the gates in St Norbert. The floodway north of Winnipeg entering the Red is just the discharge.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat 2000 XT, Eskimo F1 Rocket 10”, Eskimo QuickFish 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

Reactions: mryamaha

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes just to the north of the gates. If you can believe it people are driving along the east edge of the Red River there. There is parking right at the edge of the river and holes punched out in the middle.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I fish north of the gates in St Norbert usually but not once this year, been too busy. Just like in the summer time it can be hit and miss. I have caught almost every species the red has at the spot where the Lasalle and Red meet and further out in the middle of the red. I even caught a perch there last year at about 9". It was the ugliest one I have ever seen but it was still a perch. I usually catch cats and drums but there is the occasion sauger and pickerel along goldeye mixed in. Good luck, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments so far. That answers some of my questions.
After fishing at Chalet Beach/Warner Road yesterday I headed over to the floodway gates to see if people were fishing. There were 3 set ups there and I talked to one guy that had his truck out here and was just tearing down his tent. He was a bit hard to understand as he had an accent but he said he was mainly catching saugers. He said there was almost 3 feet of ice. I am going to try it this week an see what happens. I will report back. I am going to attach a couple of pictures.
The third pic is looking south. Where my truck is is the spot to drive down. As you can see the trail is packed down like a highway.
20210220_164843.jpg
20210220_164855.jpg
20210220_172753.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I went out to the gates on Monday around 11AM the 2 pictures above are from when I was on the ice. There were 3 other trucks on the ice and 3 adults on a snowdog fishing at the mouth of the La Salle and the Red.
easy access onto the ice, but was tricky coming off around 3pm because the snow got sloppy.
I didn't even need to start my auger, there were at least 15 holes punched from Sunday. They weren't frozen because it was so mild out there. Must have been quite a few people there Sunday. Its not very deep, only 6 to 8 feet of water under the ice. If I go back I am going to walk on and drill closer to the gates it will be deeper there.
Caught 2 cats and 2 sauger so the trip was not too bad compared to the rest of my season. All went back in the hole. Wife gave me shit for not keeping the cats. I have to admit it was better that driving to Balsam or Chalet beach to get 1 or 2 or none!! And its 15 minutes from my house.
MrY

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ha, went out there again today....had to put the extension on. The ice is deeeeeeep. Caught a small cat and a snot rocket. Didn't go out till noon. Re-drilling holes I didnt need the extension but I wanted a fresh hole in a different spot so I drilled one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts