Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
The biggest mistake 95 percent of truck fishermen do at Balsam Bay is driving to close to the edge of the breakwater (rockpile) as they leave the marina to turn West. Crap happens there almost yearly.
That spot where the trailer went down and later recovered was all marked up, everybody was giving it a wide berth.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Plopped a permie at Doc Rivers yesterday popped 5 holes to test nothing less then 16 inchs there shack was sitting on 23-24 inches. People need to learn to slow down some dope in a truck with a camper on back was easily going 30-35 mph water was shooting out of the holes in our shack.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Yeah Sauger Palooza last three days in our Shanty,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any tips/tricks to targeting Cats through the ice? I've been told that they are the large marks that cruise through slowly on the flashers but so far have been unable to trigger a bit (or get them to show any interest.)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Any tips/tricks to targeting Cats through the ice? I've been told that they are the large marks that cruise through slowly on the flashers but so far have been unable to trigger a bit (or get them to show any interest.)
I’ve ice fished the red for 25 years, and this is the first time I caught catfish. I was at 14’ deep, on the edge of a drop where it goes to 20’. Jig and minnow. I can’t explain why they were biting yesterday.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I've caught two over the years but it's usually a by-catch. No rhyme or reason. I've seen more being caught this year for some reason. No idea why but it's all over social media with almost daily posts of guys catching them.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Six Catfish iced in a day is unusual for sure! Catfish in the Winter are an incidental catch on the Red, likely because they become quite lethargic in cold waters. The biggest reason why more are being caught lately is probably due to increased angling pressure. Generally speaking, the more time you put in, the more you will catch. I haven't been out there on the ice this hardwater season, but in past seasons, I would ice about 6 Catfish a season. I never targeted them and all were caught on a jig and salted shiner. Fishing suspended over the deeper holes was definately more productive for me. Lots of baitfish, Goldeye, Catfish, Carp and the odd lunker Walleye also like to suspend over these same holes, especially as the ice thickens.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Can't stand them, same with burbot (drum, and carp)
I’ll take burbot all day long. Take the back straps off them and slice into pieces like scallops. Fried in garlic butter and they’re friggin’ great!! Best poor man’s lobster out there

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did that a few times in the distant past. Was okay, just don't like skinning them, handling them overall.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
During the fall at Doc Reids we noticed the water was really churning one morning lots of fish jumping and big splashes at the surface. We were catching a lot of incidental big cats (Jigging for Wallys) and it became apparent that there were alot of Goldeye around and these cats were on a feeding frenzy, never seen it quite like it was that day.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts