Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to take my 11 yr old out for some cat fishing one evening. Is there a good safe spot to take kids his age. I am really paranoid about the currents and high water.

G

·
Your right the red river is nothing to mess with, whether you are in a boat or standing on the shore. So your concern is warranted.

I have a 9yr old that I take out shore fishing on the red. There isn't really any spots that what I would consider safe. However in the spillway is probably a bit less dangerous although it still holds it's hazards specially if it is open and if water is coming thru.

The sure thing I can tell you is keep your kids in life jackets and keep a rope handy. This is so can throw a rope vs jumping in after him. Last thing you want is both of you in trouble. Heck I keep rope in my tackle bag always whether with kids or not. Go over safety procedures with your kids before you head out.

There is one spot that I really like for taking the boy as it is pretty wide open and a bit easier to control what is going on there. Plus the fishing isn't so bad either ;) I will PM you some details.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts