Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any oldtimers out there or youngtimers who have had info passed down to them? I just got back from a lake in the North I first fished in 1969. The lake had just become accessible by vehicle in the late 1960's and the only bait almost everyone used exclusively for pickerel was the yellow feather jig. Quarter ounce or less. The pipe cleaner body. (Some guys call them Maribou? but I thought those were pink) The only other baits you generally saw were spoons and those were for Northern.
So here's what happened. Over the past three years we caught a ton of picks, but only one with the old school jig. How is that possible? How can the same species of fish not give a damn about a bright yellow feathered thing that had its ancestors mesmerized? Forty five years is a long time in some measures, but not in evolutionary terms.
I've thought about water clarity changes, but I can't see a big difference. The only diiference in presentation is maybe the quieter electric troll, but even anchored or drifting the old things won't produce.
Has a new baitfish been introduced?
Any ideas? It's a shield lake averaging 12-35 feet in most places. Thanks in advance for any ideas or similar situations.:confused:

·
Registered
448 Posts
I cannot tell you a scientific explanation for this occurrence but can tell you that it is not all that rare. Color preference especially seems to change even from year to year. Case in point,,,certain lake we do well on with bottom bouncers for several years. Last few years one color of blade absolutely crushed everything else to the point we were all using the same one. We would try different combos but the bite would force you back to old faithful. This year,,,that blade color is done. Trial and error produced a new combination that is noticeably out fishing everything else and is the new go to blade. Additionally a couple of spots that were steady producers of big fish aren't producing the size or numbers this year. We moved around and tried some other spots and eureka ,,,size and numbers on a new spot. This happens often. It's why you have to spend time on the water to stay on top of changes in the fish behaviour and preferences. It's also what makes fishing at the same time so frustrating and intriguing. When you adjust your game and meet with success it is incredibly rewarding. I should add that the lakes I fish are exactly the kind you described as I live and fish in the north.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
This happens often. It's why you have to spend time on the water to stay on top of changes in the fish behaviour and preferences. It's also what makes fishing at the same time so frustrating and intriguing.
Yup!!! I too had a few "go to" blades and rigs, and over time they have all been replaced by the new "go to" blade, or jig, or crank, or... That's why we have so much of our hard earned money invested in tackle and equipment, it's an ever changing environment we fish in... There could have been a die off of some underwater bug or creature of fish that resembled what you used in the past, and the newer generations of fish simply do recognize it as food!!! I'm sure it took a couple of years for the Great Lakes fish to start really choking down on gobies, and over the last couple years goby imitations have been go to lures for those guys...

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
60-70 years ago my dad fished a remote lake dragging lazy ikes and lazy daisy's, and hammered the pics. that shut down and 40-50 years ago he switched to Canadian wigglers, and hammered the pics. That shut down and 30-40 years ago WE switched to a rubber core sinker and a bare hook baited with frogs. and we hammered the pics. That shut down and 20-30 years ago we evolved into Jigs, and Lindy's. Colours continually change, but they're still the goto presentations .

Why? not sure, but for nostalgia, I've tried some legacy, and get the odd fish, but nothing like in it's hey day.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to each of you, Liz Lake Zed (Zed Lake...second coldest I ever swam in!), Patty and Walleye Slayer. I'm thinking if we live long enough it will come full-circle and the old "legacy" baits will be back...just like my shirts and ties.
I'm going back up with my youngest on Monday and will try some old and new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got back yesterday...it was hot up North! Saw a "Lip Ripper" pickup bootin south on #6 with a Lund sticker on the back window...was that Patty? Anyway, I decided to try some of the home made feather jigs without a swivel snap. We never used them before. The twister tail rubber still out caught the feathered by 3 to 1, but we caught some nice ones on the feathered. The boy and I both caught with our first cast...making the storm the night before a minor inconvenience. I've never been that hot on a lake up North and we still hammered all afterrnoon. Only one other boat on the lake and they did very well with minnows.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
South on 6 or south on perimeter??? I wasn't on 6 last night but was on perimeter... Passed a truck towing a boat with Yamaha??? But yeah that's my truck!!!

Good to hear you got into some fish!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, it must have been the perimeter...it was a long hot trip. It was funny because as you passed my son said "why does he want to rip the lip??? Isn't that bad? won't he lose the fish?" lmao

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never had the jack plate off...it came that way. I can get up to 45 kph with two people, two batteries and the bow mount. I don't know much about mechanic stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
That's pretty good considering your HP, I think that's about the smallest I've seen on a plate, it caught my curiosity anyway!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts