Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello all,

If there are questions about the angling strategy (which was modified from the original), or about the engagement process, I would be happy to discuss with you - call 204-345-1450.

Derek
I think its only right that you respond to these concerns in this discussion forum that you started....no one is being rude or disrespectful we just have concerns and it is easier for all to see your responses here.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just received this response from Manitoba fisheries on email..... "I appreciate your feedback on Manitoba’s Recreational Angling Strategy. The Manitoba government is working with all resource users, including commercial fishers, to improve the sustainability of our valuable fisheries. In recent months and years, Manitoba has taken numerous measures on a number of commercially-fished lakes, including releasing fish stock assessments, developing fisheries management plans, engaging with fishers on future management, and implementing regulation and programs to improve the sustainability of these fisheries."

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think its only right that you respond to these concerns in this discussion forum that you started....no one is being rude or disrespectful we just have concerns and it is easier for all to see your responses here.
Hi Smerf,

The original forum organizer asked if I would consider answering biology questions in the 'ask a biologist' sub-forum. Given my position with the MB GOV, had to seek approval and I have been authorized to participate in this forum on the premise that I respond to biological related discussions that do not involve provincial policy or regulatory decisions. That sub-forum was popular in the first few months and years, but really is not being used very much anymore.
I am also authorized to direct forum members to Provincial Government initiatives (such as the angling strategy). If I don't follow my marching orders, I can't participate. I have always encouraged forum members to contact me directly through my email address or phone number. [email protected] or 204-345-1450.

Thanks for your concerns and I look forward to hearing from you.

Derek

·
Registered
246 Posts
This reminds me of an old quote from a boss I once had, "If they don't do something, they might have to do something". All this secrecy (No personal attack on the minister) leaves us to imagine who is pulling the strings behind the curtain. I think I know.

·
Registered
297 Posts
There are some good points raised here and certainly room for improvement and further tweaking going forward, but fishing regulations in Manitoba had been pretty
old-school/stagnant for a while I know there has been changes annually, but most were pretty minor. Not this time. Species specific closures (and basically way more year-round angling opportunity that comes with that) is a HUGE step in the right direction IMO.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
As to the proposed closure extension for Walleye and the proposed Spring Red River angling ban, I understand the need to protect spawning Walleye. Currently, the commercial season opens once 80% of Walleye in test nets have spawned out. Increasing this to 90% or even more will have a far greater impact on protecting spawning Walleye than further and proposed restrictions and closures to angling. The majority of anglers fish Walleye so IMO, selling these proposals as "increased angling opportunities" is misleading and inaccurate!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Smerf,

The original forum organizer asked if I would consider answering biology questions in the 'ask a biologist' sub-forum. Given my position with the MB GOV, had to seek approval and I have been authorized to participate in this forum on the premise that I respond to biological related discussions that do not involve provincial policy or regulatory decisions. That sub-forum was popular in the first few months and years, but really is not being used very much anymore.
I am also authorized to direct forum members to Provincial Government initiatives (such as the angling strategy). If I don't follow my marching orders, I can't participate. I have always encouraged forum members to contact me directly through my email address or phone number. [email protected] or 204-345-1450.

Thanks for your concerns and I look forward to hearing from you.

As to the proposed closure extension for Walleye and the proposed Spring Red River angling ban, I understand the need to protect spawning Walleye. Currently, the commercial season opens once 80% of Walleye in test nets have spawned out. Increasing this to 90% or even more will have a far greater impact on protecting spawning Walleye that further and proposed restrictions and closures to angling. The majority of anglers fish Walleye so selling these proposals as "increased angling opportunities" is misleading and inaccurate!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I'm not at all supportive with the limit reduction from 6-4 walleye for LW. Given the small not as significant impact recreational anglers have compared to commercial fisherman I don’t see how taking home 2 less fish is going to have any meaningful measurable impact. I like the single day opportunity for licenses. Again the current quota system is outdated and ineffective and needs major overhauling.

·
Premium Member
4,480 Posts
Did I miss any discussion about 2 rods in the summer? I'm sure most recreational anglers would love to see this change made.
That was in the original survey proposal I seem to remember.....guess it got lost in the shuffle !!!! LOL

Thinking it may cause havoc shore fishing at Lockport! LOL I know there should be a max distance thereshold between rods and/or it should be restricted to angling from a boat only!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
That was in the original survey proposal I seem to remember.....guess it got lost in the shuffle !!!! LOL

Thinking it may cause havoc shore fishing at Lockport! LOL I know there should be a max distance thereshold between rods and/or it should be restricted to angling from a boat only!
My thinking is that the changes benefit certain groups in particular more than others but two rods benefits most rec anglers. So if they were going after what most people want then I would have expected this to be on the list of changes. It seems the changes is just a way to start moving us to a catch/ release fishery in MB unless you're rights-based or have a commercial license.

·
Registered
246 Posts
There will be no room for rec anglers after the commercial and rights based (often commercial too) are done with the resource. I doubt the NDP will be any better for the masses. Maybe the rec anglers need to target some ridings next provincial election.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts