Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this seems like a real rookie question but it seems that I never catch using minnows when others are. Which makes me wonder if I should be hooking them differently. I usually hook it behind the head and again mid body expecting it to be more secure on the hook. I recently purchased a boat and am discovering rather quickly that I have a lot to learn about techniques for different bodies of water. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Depending on the presentation method it may differ, but, generally, I put the hook into one eye, through the body, back out midway. Depending on the size of the hook/minnow, I will spin the hook around and put it back into the body again. The idea in my mind is to keep the minnow in a natural position in the water.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I suspect that presentation is a far bigger issue. Many people hook their minnows differently and do so quite successfully. Personally, how I hook my minnow mostly depends on the application as follows:

1) Pickeral Rig- Through the body at a downward angle and up between the gills just so the hook tip penetrated through.
2) Jig- Upside down, through the mouth, with a stinger hook attached to the tail end or a small piece of rubber twister tail to keep it on the hook better.
3) Lindy Rig/ Spinner- Straight in the mouth, through the underside between the gills, and again into the underside as far back as I can get it. Occasionally, I will use this method on a pickeral rig as well.

·
Registered
659 Posts
If he's hooking behind the head and again mid body I'm assuming salted.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've had success with lazily hooking through the eye and coming out the back (on the opposite side of the backbone). Stands up to multiple castings pretty well.

Dunno if that's the "best" way though.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
:mad:The "best" way is whatever way the fish are enticed by that particular hour of the day.
I have a handful of methods that I employ and one always ends up working. Sometimes fish are sensitive to minnow presentation and by simply changing the way the a minnow sits/hangs on your hook can be the difference between steady action, and no action.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts