Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is something I have considered for some time now. I currently purchase almost all my weight from FishmanMB. But have always wondered if it is cost effective to do it myself. I think I have seen enough YouTube videos on the subject as far as the how.

What I need to know is with the cost of lead and time it takes is it really worth it. Would be cool to get some feed back from people on cost of lead vs just buying weights.

And can you re pour lead. I ask this because. Heck I fish in Lockport dragging in pickerel rigs is a specialty. I usually keep the lead I find. This year has been insane with the high water at the beginning of the season. And now the water dropping every trip I am picking up a dozen sinkers are more that where victim to snags they are just all over the place out there. But most are not my style or size.

I look forward to your feedback.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have made my jigs & weights for years (and I do mean years) I usually use old tire balancing weights that I score from car service centers, if you ask, some of them will tell you to take all you want. I also melt down any old weights or jigs that are damaged to re-use the lead.
I use a 6" cast iron frying pan to melt the lead down in & do it outdoors on a Coleman stove. Be sure to do it outdoors (very well ventilated) as lead fumes are toxic & can cause lead poisoning. On lead that still has something embedded in it such as the tire weights or old jigs, I hold the piece by the steel with needle nose pliers as I put it into the pan, the lead melts off & you just put the junk in the garbage or re-cycling. Use a cheap gravy ladle or large spoon to scoop the sludge off the surface of the melted lead. Be sure the spoon is stainless steel or the lead will stick to it, true silver plated works even better, lead just slides off. You want only the nice silver lead showing after melting. If you see dull gray matter on the surface, that is usually contaminants & should be scooped off & discarded.
Now is it worth it, well, I figure I have saved well over $2000 over the years by making my own jigs & weights. Plus I have fun doing it, kinda like a hobby. Have lots of friends who ask me to make jigs for them as well when they find out I do it.
Give it a try & enjoy!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol I could be up for a night of craziness. PM me sometime.

And I think I know who you are. Met you at the spill way a few time I think.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts