Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Live in the Pembina Valley and have often fished the Portage spillway though its been slowing down significantly and can be pretty packed with people at times. Used to fish Lockport/Selkirk regularly when we lived in city, but a bit of a drive now.

Heard of guys fishing the Whitemud around Westbourne, or the Assiniboine around Holland, MB....seems to be some decent stuff closer than I thought!

Have a couple weeks off of work upcoming, so wondering if anyone is willing to share any basic info - not looking for your secret spots, just a decent spot or two that's reasonably accessible from shore - like to take my son. Any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
667 Posts
You can fish the Whitemud off the docks at Sportsman's, or get a little closer to the mouth and fish at the municipal boat launch. Or the Assiniboine at any of the campgrounds or bridge crossing for that matter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to get some cats the portage diversion is producing some good numbers. I usually fish farther done from the spill way. Drum and Goldeye can be caught on pickeral rigs with works.

·
Registered
667 Posts
You don't even need real ones. I've caught carp, cats, and walleyes on p rigs in the Assiniboine using plastic worms. Gulp killer crawlers do the best for me. That said, I've only managed one fish on plastics in the Whitemud. They like the real thing there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts