Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're new to Pointe du Bois area, and have not fished it in either summer or winter yet. I took the side by side out and found the trail that goes across to George lake. Didn't head over there yet, since I've never trout fished before.

Wondering if it that bay at the trail entrance is worth fishing for pike or walleye? Or are there other sections accessible from there with a SXS that might be worth trying?

Also saw lots of snowmobile trails off sawmill bay, but no signs of anyone fishing. Any areas that are generally safe to try in and around the bay?

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Hopefully BIGGAMFISHER see's your post,. Most reputable guy I know here for that body of water, I know it pretty good in summer, just never ice fished there. He has given me great pointers in the past, Good luck,

Reactions: GordF

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully BIGGAMFISHER see's your post,. Must reputable guy I know here for that body of water, I know it pretty good in summer, just never ice fished there. He has given me great pointers in the past, Good luck,
Thanks. Been hoping to find someone local to the area that I can chat with, but so far no luck.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Not seen him on here lately, but he would be the guy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BGF can undoubtedly give you some valuable perspective - but just in case you are getting desperate and thinking about rolling the dice.....

Most of my experience in the PDB area is in the summer, and in the winter I usually just skip across into George and Forbes. Trout are more fun than other species in winter I find, and you definitely need to be wary of ice conditions on the Winnipeg River. There is a lot of structure, and its interaction with flow can create upwellings (and weak ice) in locations you wouldn't expect. In a sense, you are starting with a clean slate it sounds like...but since Hydo rebuilit the PDB spillway, flow patterns upstream of the PDB station have changed....so what was safe before, may not be safe now. Always best to exercise caution, and don't assume that was safe in January and February is safe in March....because if we get warm weather and more more water is released from Lac Seul and LOTW, erosion of solid ice can happen quickly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts