Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to possibly expand my trolling options & am looking into the option of planer boards. I’ve watched numerous videos & when I check the regs for where these people have been using them they aren’t barbless bodies of water. I’m curious to know the experiences of anyone using them here in Manitoba where we don’t use barbed hooks. Thanks ahead

·
Registered
849 Posts
I’ve never used a planer board but it can’t be much different than using a downrigger for lake trout or salmon. With a downrigger setup I’ve had no issue keeping a hook set on either type of fish. Now beside the boat is a different story! It may depend on how many “pulls” you do before attaching line. I can see being further out with the board from the boat and further away from board affects hookset.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have zero experience with planer boards so forgive me if my questions seem dumb. When you refer to pulls before attaching the line what are you describing. In some of the videos I’ve watched the line is wrapped around a roller on the planer board flag arm.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I have zero experience too. I thought they may have a clip like downriggers. Pulls is number of arm lengths you let line out before clipping on downrigger line at the ball. If I have confused you with riggers I apologize. Hopefully somebody with experience pipes in.

Summer rig: 2009 Crestliner 1700 FishHawk, Merc 90 4S, Humminbird 788Ci, 570, MinnKota Power Drive V2, 24v, AP, CP, US2.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
My thought is that not many people use planar boards in MB because we have one rod policy in open water (unless you are exempt). As such, even a boat with 4 people in it can get away from needing planar boards to get further away from the boat. I've personally never seen anyone running them in MB.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was just watching 39 hours again and saw Aaron and Jay were using planer boards trolling for splake in the Duck Mountains. I would guess that having two rods you could cover more water especially in clear water situations where a fish might chase down a lure from a larger distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
372 Posts
Looking to possibly expand my trolling options & am looking into the option of planer boards. I’ve watched numerous videos & when I check the regs for where these people have been using them they aren’t barbless bodies of water. I’m curious to know the experiences of anyone using them here in Manitoba where we don’t use barbed hooks. Thanks ahead
I use them often on lake manitoba. When you see your board jerking back then fish is on ! , slowly reel in until you can grab the board with your free hand and un clip it from your line and drop the un hooked board in the boat then proceed to fight the fish as normal. Just keep the boat moving forward on a slow troll the whole time. It takes practice . Only two advantages over regular trolling is it puts a line way out to the side out of the way . And secondly its great for shallow situations along the shore .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts