Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Looking for anyone who owns Panoptix and/or Livescope. I want to invest into this system this fall in anticipation for hardwater season, but after some research, I've come to learn that Livescope is totally different setup. Both are very pricey but i'm willing to splurge this year. Would any owners of either system recommend just the 1st gen system ($2600 Ice Bundle) or go for broke and rig up a Livescope System ($2800+ no ice package), is it frustrating having to create your own rig with the livescope or is there lots of help and resources out there to make a nice rig with Livescope?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Confirmation received this morning, Garmin is releasing an Ice Bundle package for Livescope Late October. Had this email waiting for me from a business who contacted his Garmin rep yesterday.

"HelloTyler,

I haveenquired to Garmin and they send me a product release for the Panopix Livescopebundle! Canadian kit expected Estimated late October.

Thank you
Customer Service"

·
Registered
245 Posts
really depends, on fish you target.. panoptix ps22 has more range in deeper water, while livescope not so much but the image quality is outstanding..

fish mostly red and LW for walleye on ice. which to bulky for me to run and gun, sold the setup end of the season..

does it help catch fish? more fish no,still depends on you. does it help find fish? somewhat.. fishing LW which drilling 1 random hole and shooting your livescope 360 it aint gonna work, will it help you stay on the fish? definitely but like i said you need to know the general location first and walleye tends to be at the bottom so it will take time to learn reading the unit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have both and like them, once i saw Livescope in action i new I had to make it work for ice fishing. The Panoptix is a little more compact but that is how I made mine more that an actual limitation. I did spend big money on the battery, m18 12 amp hour so that it would last a full day. So far i got 6 hours with no voltage drop on the weekend. The Panoptix ice bundle gets the full day no problem. THe masts are the most cumbersome this and the biggest draw back, if running gunning I would probably stick to my Vexlar but for tenting Livescope is my first choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looked at and tested both the traditional panoptix and live scope this year and there was no comparison in the ice performance of the live scope. Once the unit is dialed in, the live scope has such amazing level of detail, clarity and range; the ability to (nearly) determine the exact species of fish looking at the lure.

The downsides are the size of the unit compared to a traditional flasher and the size of the periscope mount for the live scope transducer, not to mention the insane price tag. The package does however have a fully functional top of the line 9 inch summer system for the boat with navionics installed so there is a lot of value along with the price.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the live scope bundle this week as I fish with a hut full of family almost every time I go out. The ability to see 4-5 lines and lures individually in the water and which fish is chasing what lure is a game changer (rather than trying to run 2-3 flashers in the same shack on top of each other). For kids and adults the visuals enhance the experience and help to better understand fish behavior and what to do to trigger a bite.

Although I will second the opinion of Trigger338 where he says running and gunning alone I would prefer my Vex or Bird flasher.

Bottom line, if one has the money and fishes somewhat stationary, with a few active lines - it is worth the money.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Where live vu has changed things for me is searching. With traditional units one gets about 1 ft of cone coverage for every 3 ft of depth. A person pops a hole and there could be no marks on the sonar and would be lead to believe there’s no fish there when really there could be because they’re swimming just outside the angle of the cone. With my live vu I pop 1 hole rotate the transducer and pan in a 240 ft radius. I can quickly search large areas without drilling tons of holes. A huge time saver. More time fishing less time searching.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Where live vu has changed things for me is searching. With traditional units one gets about 1 ft of cone coverage for every 3 ft of depth. A person pops a hole and there could be no marks on the sonar and would be lead to believe there’s no fish there when really there could be because they’re swimming just outside the angle of the cone. With my live vu I pop 1 hole rotate the transducer and pan in a 240 ft radius. I can quickly search large areas without drilling tons of holes. A huge time saver. More time fishing less time searching.
I am curious how well the search works on big windy in the shallower south basin? Can the unit see clearly out 30-40feet? Do the sonar settings need to be tweaked for better return in the live forward mode? Curious what your experience has been.

My experience so far has been mostly with the live down setting (works excellent).

·
Registered
725 Posts
I’ve panned out to 240’ with no issues. Once I’ve found my spot I switch from forward to down view and set the range to to 60’. I set the transducer pole in 1 of the outside holes then set the sonar display head in the middle of the holes so we can all see the screen. With the exception of my Vex FL28 I’ve switched my Helix, Elite and Live vu to Pelican cases.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I run ‘n gun with my Live vu. I keep the transducer attached to the bottom section of the transducer pole and it fits inside the pelican case. I keep the rest of the pole attached and put it the big middle compartment of my pull behind sled. I drill my hole connect the battery attach the pole and I’m set to start scanning. 3 minutes.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I am using the livescope on my boat and on the ice, i bought the shuttle and arm from Summit fishing equipment and he also make transducer adapters.
I use the clam bag and it all fits in nicely, for the pole I use an extendable boat hook pole but i know some people are using extendable paint poles. Sets up fast I find i can see reliably about 50-60 feet in forward mode in 12' feet of water. Any more than that on LW it gets quite grainy

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would definitely like to upgrade the stock Garmin bag. That is one of my biggest peeves; the cheap back thrown onto a 4000.00 flasher.

The pole I can live with.

Going to try more forward view searching this weekend out and see if I can make that work a little better for finding the walleye.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I may have a spare shuttle and arm for sale that will fit in the Livescope bag.
I could give you a good deal if you are interested.
Send me a pm if you want to see it, or I could send some pictures.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Sorry I should clarify. A shuttle and arm for the Livescope that will fit in a Clam bag.
I like it a lot better than the factory Garmin bag and shuttle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts