Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys im reaching out to the more knowledgeable people on the board I'm looking at buying an on board charger for my new deep cycle battery (havent purchased yet) and would like to have a few suggestions I read up on various sites, some advise slow charge and some say dont slow charge confusing to say the least so ask the pros? would 2 or 5 amp be best or maybe suggestions
looking at Noco perhaps?

·
Registered
924 Posts
I have a Minnkota MK210 onboard charger. It’s 2 banks with 5 amps each charging 2 group 31 regular deep cycle batteries. Have had it since 2010 with no issues. And as Higgins said, keep them charged up.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Well guys im reaching out to the more knowledgeable people on the board I'm looking at buying an on board charger for my new deep cycle battery (havent purchased yet) and would like to have a few suggestions I read up on various sites, some advise slow charge and some say dont slow charge confusing to say the least so ask the pros? would 2 or 5 amp be best or maybe suggestions
looking at Noco perhaps?

Automatic smart chargers do all the thinking for you....no need to over think the need. Last few years switched over to all Noco in the new boat from using several Minn Kota's for the last 25 years or so years...........couldn't be happier, love all the Noco products. Minn Kota certainly priced themselves out of the market. As far as charge rate/output, really depends on how much time you have to recharge between uses. A 2 amp will take about 30+ hours to charge a depleted group 31, a 5 amp 12+ hrs and so on. In the last 12 to 15 years, smart chargers have really evolved, I've had nothing less than 10 amps per bank........the charger regulates the output for optimized results, different modes depending on what type of battery, Wet Cell/AGM/GEL/LFP, etc. . Starts off at a higher rate and regulates towards the end, PERFECT! For even a more carefree install, go AGM!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Automatic smart chargers do all the thinking for you....no need to over think the need. Last few years switched over to all Noco in the new boat from using several Minn Kota's for the last 25 years or so years...........couldn't be happier, love all the Noco products. Minn Kota certainly priced themselves out of the market. As far as charge rate/output, really depends on how much time you have to recharge between uses. A 2 amp will take about 30+ hours to charge a depleted group 31, a 5 amp 12+ hrs and so on. In the last 12 to 15 years, smart chargers have really evolved, I've had nothing less than 10 amps per bank........the charger regulates the output for optimized results, different modes depending on what type of battery, Wet Cell/AGM/GEL/LFP, etc. . Starts off at a higher rate and regulates towards the end, PERFECT! For even a more carefree install, go AGM!
so what would be the max amperage for charging a deep cycle battery in your opinion? most times i would probably have 12 hours of charging time

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
so what would be the max amperage for charging a deep cycle battery in your opinion? most times i would probably have 12 hours of charging time

Depends on the type, size and ah capacity. Recommended/acceptable charge rate for a lead acid battery is no more than 20% of the rated amp hour capacity. Most deep cycles have a reserve capacity rating (the formula to convert that to ah is reserve capacity X 25 amps, divide by 60) so if your lead acid deep cycle is rated at 180 reserve minutes = 75 ah, 20% of 75 is 15 amps max charge rate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts