Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a small kid my dad showed me his method of catching jack fish. He used that thick green line a Norwegian hook and a smelt and suspend it about 6" off bottom with a bobber. Used a large hex nut that fit over the smelt as a weight to find bottom and get the depth set.

Years later I use thinner 20 lbs braided line and a smaller bobber then dad used but I have basically not changed from this method. Looking around I can rarlely even find Norwegian hooks for sale. Has my method become dated?

·
Registered
172 Posts
We used cut hockey sticks, willow branches, broom handles, etc with the green line and norweigen hooks but we threaded a sponge ball on the line as a bobber. The bobber can be hit down if it freezes in without breaking it, and it gives a little better resistance.

The best thing for pike seem to be those HT tip ups with a wind deflector that self jigs with a medium sized Norwegian and big smelt.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Devo you should try a standard quick strike rig a lot better hook up percentage on quick strikes than a huge single hook and as said before you can ethically catch and release the bigger ones without completely destroying their mouths rendering them dead of starvation

·
Registered
172 Posts
I actually use a double hook setup I make myself but the last time out with a group the others were nailing them on the Norwegians with the HT tip ups.

I have a few of those quick strike rigs but never seemed to have as good luck with them. Biggest pike we caught was on my double hook setup though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
We always called them Norwegian hooks, we have some setups that my grandfather had, some that we have restringed many times. We always called them Norwegians and everyone in that area still does aswell.

They are sold as J pike hooks in Canadian Tire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We used cut hockey sticks, willow branches, broom handles, etc with the green line and norweigen hooks but we threaded a sponge ball on the line as a bobber. The bobber can be hit down if it freezes in without breaking it, and it gives a little better resistance.

The best thing for pike seem to be those HT tip ups with a wind deflector that self jigs with a medium sized Norwegian and big smelt.
It has been a long time but I have seen guys use the little blue and red foam balls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts