Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is the first season I am trying this whole ice fishing thing, so I would appreciate opinions from more experienced forum users.

So, I was wondering, what would be good places to go this winter in North Whiteshell area? Or around Pinawa, Lac du Bonnet, etc. All the way down to Nutimik (I am trying to keep it within 150 km from Winnipeg)

I don't have snowmobile or quad, so it has to close to the road.

Fish species don't really matter. Pike, perch, walleye, bass, mermaids...

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
My suggestion would be to go to Lockport and fish on the west side of the river along the concreate wall. It`s a heavily fished area but you will find a lot of anglers there and they may be able to teach you the basics also it is close to Winnipeg and you tend to catch fairly well there. Not to many wintertime wall hangers come out of that exact corner but you will get to experiance the feel of a bite and real in a few fish before you head150ms from home to fish. Just make sure there are guys out there before you and stay in the crowd don`t venture away to far the river can be very dangerous.

Good luck.

·
Banned
1,849 Posts
The whiteshell is unpredictable there are places with thin ice and fast current I don't think anybody will be giving you advice to go there at this time of year as a rookie.
If anything your best bet would be Big Whiteshell lake , Caddy lake, or something like that with low flow. Personally I would avoid Nutimik or North whiteshell and would wait at least until SnoMan opens their snowmobile trails before walking out on Big White or Brereton.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Was by there not long ago. Winnipeg River was still wide open water at LDB, and from Seven Sister's through Dorothy Lake. I'm not an expert, but, seeing that at a time when there's hard water everywhere else is enough to keep me off the Winnipeg River in the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts