Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far this is my first year of ice fishing.
I have primarily fished on the east side of the lake.
I have fished maybe 6-7 times on the lake in anywhere between 10-20 feet of water often with mixed/random success in the afternoon and a guaranteed fish on the ice at or by sunset.
I have not landed any walleye over twenty inches, in fact the biggest fish I've caught was a 38" Northern Pike
I like using jigs and pickerel rigs, I have lots of different baits but the others seem to not work.
The most fish I've hooked into within a few hours has been six.
I have had issues where i will bring fish up to the ice/hole and lose them which can be very frustrating.
Is there something I'm doing wrong that can be easily corrected?
I've heard going farther out and deeper is better for more fish but unrealistic in my situation most of the time.
Anyways thanks for the help in advance. I just want more fish:eek:

·
Registered
243 Posts
if you ask me, you are doing fine in my opinion.. losing fish at the hole is not a new story for ice anglers.. ive got better success landing fish using "heavy hooks on the jig" and i upgrade all my hooks on what ever lure im using

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Don't feel bad, dropping bigger fish at the hole happens to everyone! Sharpening hooks and using stinger hooks on jigs helps. I prefer double eyed jigs with braid snap on style stinger hooks. Also a lot of people use a leader the same lenght as the ice thickness, joined to the main line with a uni to uni knot or a small swivel. When reeling in a fish and you see the knot or swivel, you should slow down and ease the fish into the start of the hole gently.

As for catching more fish, they can be in any depth. You just have to move around until you find them. Sometimes moving only 50 or 100 feet can make all the difference in the world.

·
Administrator
1,430 Posts
Well you're doing way better than I did in my first year of ice fishing.

If you don't have a flasher you should invest in one. Really helps with seeing suspended fish and helps you react when the come by. It's a massive game changer. I lent my spare one to a friend who didn't have one. The very next week he bought his own after seeing how good it was.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice so far guys!
I have used a flasher and witnessed friends using them but still I have seen most fish come right off the bottom with only a few high up again though I will probably get one by next year.
The leader idea will be implemented asap as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Change up your tackle

Although jigs are one of the best lures for getting fish to strike, they also tend to cause “dropped fish” near the hole.

You should get some lipless cranks like live targets, clackin raps, aruka shad, rippin raps, jackals and/or other rattle type lures etc. Trebles will hold fish better when landing and rattles in the lures will attract fish in the stained water. Also try some larger spoons tipped with salties.

With your second rod or “dead stick”, consider a Swedish pimple with minnow or buckshot rattle spoon with minnow.

Just tips from successful trips in years past. Our party of 9 will be up fishing the 23rd through the 27th, hopefully fish and weather cooperate.

Ps...Consider “Bait Buttons” to help keep the bait on your barbless hooks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn the fish seemed to not enjoy the artificials even tipped with half a shiner only one bite which i lost and then i got a smaller fish with more action on the drop shot

·
Registered
9 Posts
bait buttons

Hawgeye has a good point about the "Bait Buttons". I've also found that if you can't track down any bait buttons, Mustache Worms (small plastics for panfish) work roughly the same as bait buttons, and for me easier to find in stores.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yup, I use Gulp! Maggots, Fry's, Minnow heads etc. and torn up twister tails. We've always simply called them Bait keepers.

The "Bait Button" brand is just a commercial version of the old technique. They act like they invented it and added a cute holder to sling around your neck and jack up the cost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts