Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Pair an SUP with an Orion cooler! Google those coolers, can be secured to the SUP and already rigged with yak attack tracks for rod holder, etc. and also have a standing/sitting pad! Anyway off topic onto kayak fishing...

Nothingman, you know I'm going to be getting that same set up now for our dino hunting from our yaks! We should get a group headed out first chance open water!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Pair an SUP with an Orion cooler! Google those coolers, can be secured to the SUP and already rigged with yak attack tracks for rod holder, etc. and also have a standing/sitting pad!
The Orion's are like the Yeti coolers, nice but expensive! I just sit or stand on my board and cast, maybe one day I might buy a cooler. I have the Tackle Rac with two rod holders, just need to get a small anchor and rope to keep my from drifting.

Here's a pic similar to my set up minus the cooler:

Also, I will not post my SUP stuff in the Kayak threads...sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
That is a nice set-up!! I agree, SUP is another "new world" of fishing which is gaining in popularity, so a new section devoted to it would be cool. Watched a guy bass-fishing docks on the Winnipeg River in one last year. I look forward to seeing some of your posts/pics this year.

On a side note (sorry to hi-jack thread) Yes, Yeti coolers are very expensive and since they were recently bought out by a private equity firm "Cortec"; the vast majority of their products are made in the Philippines with some in Iowa - bit misleading saying they are made in USA.

Brute coolers are amazing, built better, less expensive, and ALL made in Texas.

·
Registered
457 Posts
What would a good starting point for a vessel. As an avid motorcyclist I already love being just man and machine, kayaks have always peaked my interest. Just couldn't afford one when I was younger. Being poor takes a lot of fun out of things.

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
A Yak is a great option; If you can't afford or don't want the expense of a powered boat.

More 'NO' words surrounding fishing from a Yak that 'YES' words; which isn't a bad thing.

- No expensive insurance
- No trailer required
- No boat launch required
- No power boat restrictions ... NO problem
- No fancy fishing gear required
- No expensive electronics require
- No motor to maintain
- No gas required

- Yes it's loads of fun
- Yes you can catch fish from a Yak (lots of fish)
- Yes you can chill on a hot summer evening or morning sitting 'on' a Yak
- Yes you can vertically jig, troll, or pitch from a yak
- Yes you can anchor a Yak
- Yes it's user friendly (no moving parts, no recoils ropes to tear out LOL)

I use a very short open water rod or a 36" Ice Fishing rod. No fancy reels required. Actually I prefer a cheap reel with a decent drag (the thing is going to get soaked anyways).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Can't wait to go yakking again this summer. So much fun to be literally sitting at water level. Picked up a 5'6" rod for jigging with out of the yak. Can't wait to try it out to see how much easier it will be to meet a fish with it compared to the 7 footer i was using last fall on the red. Couple more hard watet trips and then let it melt.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doc I was expecting a punch line? Lol welcome back! We missed you!

As for size of a rod I can't have my rod to small, for switching sides right to left when the fish goes under, I need enough to get around the front of my rig.

I have issues using a drift sock when hauling a catch, so I don't use one as much as I'd like to, any ideas? I use a reusable shopping bag, string, clip to front of canoe, but regret doing so when I catch

·
Registered
151 Posts
Can't agree with you more rrob83! There is nothing better than the feeling of literally just sitting on the water so close to the action! I've always wanted a boat, but now that I've gotten into kayak fishing, I'd rather buy 5 more different kayaks for different situations than a boat! Can't wait to get out there, this weather's getting me excited!! :)

·
Banned
1,020 Posts
Glad to see this section for people that use a yak to fish from not my thing would prefer being on shore or a boat.
That would/might mean you won't be frequenting this much then.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Was at the Fishn Hole and talked with a fella that just bought an Ocean Kayak c/w electric motor. Very cool.

Look forward to seeing more Yaks on the Big Lake this year ... if you dare LOL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I flyfish out of my kayak and out of a float tube. The tube has an advantage in that you can control it with your flippers, while the kayak is harder to control with a rod in your hands. This requires anchoring if you want to precisely cast to structures. The kayak has the big advantage in the range you can travel. Both styles of fishing have their advantages, but these days my creaky knees usually appreciate my going out in the kayak. It is hard to beat an evening paddle trolling a crankbait or casting poppers to smallies.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts