Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw the store was open today.
It is called Smoke and Fish.

They have live and salted minnows, ice fishing supplies and tents.
They will be open early at 6am for bait once ice season starts.

It is on the corner of Manitoba and Main Street in Selkirk.
405 Main Street

Not sure of the phone number....

·
Registered
977 Posts
Wonder if they well do any better then the other 4 stores that went Belly up there.. Gl to them..
Not sure how you come up with 4 stores but one was open for almost 20 years in two different locations and two different owners.

Only reason it closed was due to the owner passing away.

·
Registered
519 Posts
There is another fishing store that just openned up on Main street, between Logan and Alexander, I'll have to get the name tmrw morning I think It's HO Fishing Supplies. I recall going back 20 years when there was a fishing store on the corner of Main and Alexander - still have a filleting knife I purchased there!

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Not sure how you come up with 4 stores but one was open for almost 20 years in two different locations and two different owners.

Only reason it closed was due to the owner passing away.

Ok sorry 3 .. The guy on the Selkirk dock closed.. The guy on main closed relocated and closed again..It was a husband and wife combo Yes.??

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
There is another fishing store that just openned up on Main street, between Logan and Alexander, I'll have to get the name tmrw morning I think It's HO Fishing Supplies. I recall going back 20 years when there was a fishing store on the corner of Main and Alexander - still have a filleting knife I purchased there!
By city hall or in china town??

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
If he gets support by consumers, he should do Ok - A store in Selkirk is simply a good idea with all the fishermen that frequent that town. Supporting local may cost a few cents/dollars more, but IMHO supporting local stores is good for everyone, assuming he is not outrageous with pricing.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just before city hall on Main street, I'll snap a pic on the way home today.
It would be great if they reused the big neon fish sign from the Neon Factory. I'm going to take a look today!

·
Premium Member
2,872 Posts
If he gets support by consumers, he should do Ok - A store in Selkirk is simply a good idea with all the fishermen that frequent that town. Supporting local may cost a few cents/dollars more, but IMHO supporting local stores is good for everyone, assuming he is not outrageous with pricing.
I wish them all the best of luck in the world. The biggest problem facing a fishing/outdoor store in Selkirk is that the HUGE majority of local fishing is done with $25 rod and reel combos, catfish rigs, pic rigs and jigs. There's a dozen places that sell frozen minnows and one or two that sell live minnows already. Can't compete with Wal-Mart and Cdn Tire down the street. Even the Big Dollar has what the Red River angler needs.

Miles and Sharon ended up moving their business into their home because they couldn't make it in a commercial building. They stopped selling live minnows in there too.

Starfish in Lockport was a good little shop but couldn't make a go of it either.

I hope these new ppl have the winning formula.

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
that is what I was thinking.. Almost every store/gas station down Main has things Fisherman want or need.. Gl to them they well need it...

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Starfish was open one Saturday at 5, next at 6 , next at 7....etc( no dependability)
Stock was very limited and prices were on the high side. Staff weren't knowledgeable . There's the reasons they closed in my opinion . Like mentioned if you know your product and customers, provide them the selection and service they want and have competitive prices you should do alright .

·
Banned
5,470 Posts
Just before city hall on Main street, I'll snap a pic on the way home today.

The store is beside the Sutherland hotel and it Sucks.. It closes at 4pm. I was able to get in there before he closed..Prices are way over Priced see stuff that i bought at the dollar store..It funny i bought a file knife for 6 Bux and a amry knife for 5 bux.. it come to $11.40 i gave the guy a 20 he gave me back 6 bux and said thank you.. lol I was ok keep the $2.60 tip.. The guy has no idea about anything of fishing Worse off He dont speak more then 5 words of English..

He was following me like a hawk.... Never go there again..He wont be open for much longer....

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
The store is beside the Sutherland hotel and it Sucks.. It closes at 4pm. I was able to get in there before he closed..Prices are way over Priced see stuff that i bought at the dollar store..It funny i bought a file knife for 6 Bux and a amry knife for 5 bux.. it come to $11.40 i gave the guy a 20 he gave me back 6 bux and said thank you.. lol I was ok keep the $2.60 tip.. The guy has no idea about anything of fishing Worse off He dont speak more then 5 words of English.. He was following me like a hawk.... Never go there again..He wont be open for much longer....
too bad.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yes my mistake, it's called Ma's Fishing. I will have to check tomorrow if this business was set up under the Immigrant Investor Program, which fast tracks individuals into Canada who set up a business and pay a refundable deposit so long as they set up a business in Canada. Whether the business is successful or not is irrelevant but at least it's a fast track to Canada.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts