Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've promised to take my 10 yr old son ice fishing. I know nothing: where to go, where to park, when, dos and donts... Are there places/times/ events where someone else drills the hole for me? (I have a dull hand auger)
What's the best source of info? Good advice?
I think Selkirk, but am open to other places. Used to go to Whitemouth lake. Reynolds Ponds? (Live in the Southeast but willing to travel.)
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,148 Posts
Kids need some pampering (I know from experience) to keep them happy on the ice. I would suggest Lockport (west side near the wall). Bring lot of snacks, a tablet, etc. to keep them busy when the bite dies down.

For bait, jigs and salties fished off the bottom should get you some saugers and the odd greenback.

Best advice would be to go out with someone who ice fishes regularly, has a big tent, heater, etc. and can take you along. Post in the 'invite an angler' and hopefully someone can help.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Don't waste your time with white mouth that lake has not came back from when it was winter killed 2 years ago. Personally with a kid I would suggest Lockport. But if your looking for a good time with lots of other kids I would suggest the kid fish derby good way to meet other people that are interested in fishing. And like abousetta said bring lots for the kid to do snacks and such

·
Registered
233 Posts
Second the electronics, I have a portable DVR that plays movies , kinda like mp3 player with screen, when things got slow this tied her over till the action started. Tell them it might get slow and tell them to bring what they wan't to stay busy. Make sure they are warm too.

Derby's are a good idea also u could hire a guide for an afternoon they should be able to put you on fish and will get you up to speed on the sport as it is today, gear/ fishing technique has come a long way.

other than the hand auger what gear do you have?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know some people keep their kids busy on the ice by painting a slightly weighted milk jug orange then have about 100 feet of line to the hole with a hook on the end. Tell the kids when the jug starts going across the ice they have to jump on the jug cause there's a fish on the end. Keeps them occupied for quite a while

Ive been asked if i could drill a couple of holes for people that just had a hand auger i did no problem. So if someone is around and hopefully they arent stuck up they may drill a couple holes for you.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Nothing wrong with Reynolds ponds, I took my daughter last year and she wants to go again.
If you need your auger sharpened there's a guy north of the #1 and a half mile east of the #12. Art Poshner 204-422-5925
$8 a blade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
32 Posts
My brother and I also enjoy fishing Reynolds ponds. Have had success catching small trout and big mouth bass. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Good advice is don't take fishing to seriously with a kid along. Take making sure they have fun more seriously, bring a toboggan if there's a hill make a fire roost some wieners and pack up when they say to.
Pike on tip-ups might be a good fish to go for too, they take and run. I use to go to St.Malo with my dad for pike, we'd drive on west of the Bible camp (there is a winter road across) and go across and fish off a point east of the road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I usually take my son (6 y/o) to Lockport or FPB, best chances to catch something easy. Bring lots of snacks! I don't allow tablets while fishing, we gave plenty if that at home. Take a walk, have a talk, drink a tee or a coke, talk to the boy. It's the best fun ever.
P.S. I use a hand auger, 8 inch one, it's ok, especially now with less than a foot of ice. Took me 20 minutes last year to hand drill 3 feet in -40 though :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 10 yr old boy and 12 yr old girl. They come now and then. But they are good a 3-4 hours. Sometimes they fish and sometimes they don't. The key is making a big deal about them coming, bring lots of snacks (let them pack them). They just want to play on the ice and hang out with their old man. Hand auger is ok with only 12" of ice, but make sure it is sharp. But be careful, it can addictive and your son may want to go every weekend. That would suck. Lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you are worried about your hand auger, go to the busy places mentioned above (lockport, fpb) and bring a hatchet and a metal bar, theres always lots of holes from previous fisherman that aren't too frozen over

·
Registered
354 Posts
Or seriously just stand there and look at your hand auger and scratch your head and I would bet within a few minutes someone will come drill all the holes you need. I myself countless times have watched (for some reason its usually a couple) trying to hand auger a hole to no avail..... I always go over and offer to drill 12 holes all over so they can move if no fish are biting at spot 1 they chose.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I also recommend Lockport dam! The bite is usually quite good with a few different types of fish lurking about. You don't need expensive gear just the odd 1/4 oz jig and maybe a spoon or something. Kids will obviously get cold more quickly so a little shelter goes a long ways...I just bought one from Costco and cannot get enough of it. Saying that however, I was at Canadian tire today at the Winnipeg polo park area and they had an ice fishing kit on sale for about $180 consisting of a 2 man rapalla shelter, a hand auger, 2 jigging rods, and little bag tote for the rods and maybe a small assortment of jigs...anyone who knows anything of fishing will tell you this is a smoking hot deal. To put it in perspective I just paid over $200 for my Costco shelter alone. I also have a little sled to haul my gear on which would be ideal as there are steep banks fun for tobogganing if your child gets bored at all! The people are friendly and there are always holes you could set up around if you don't wish to use the auger. Hope this helps! Tight lines!...PS: I was that same kid being taken out ice fishing and I'll tell ya right now...it meant the world to me!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts