Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been out to Pointe du Bois for sturgeon fishing yet but I'd like to go soon.​
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with any tips for navigation from the boat launch at 8 foot to the generating station where we would fish.​
I heard the rocks and reefs can be bad around there and also other hazards along the way.​
Any help is appreciated, I am new to the pdb area and have no previous experience driving a boat from the boat launch to the dam.​
also, does it get really nasty out there with high winds? I assume so, being the wpg river.​
any tips on depth to fish for the sturgeon?​
thanks for any help!​

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
I've never been out to Pointe du Bois for sturgeon fishing yet but I'd like to go soon.​
I was wondering if you guys could help me out with any tips for navigation from the boat launch at 8 foot to the generating station where we would fish.​
I heard the rocks and reefs can be bad around there and also other hazards along the way.​
Any help is appreciated, I am new to the pdb area and have no previous experience driving a boat from the boat launch to the dam.​
also, does it get really nasty out there with high winds? I assume so, being the wpg river.​
any tips on depth to fish for the sturgeon?​
thanks for any help!​
Just sayin', don't let anyone tell you the safe navigation tips, you need to get a map. Canada Map sales on Century, it's your friend.

Or, a Navionics card for your plotter, it's your friend too!

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had zero issues doing that trip the first time with my navonics... Just watch the map and keep an eye on where your going.

·
Premium Member
4,426 Posts
I had zero issues doing that trip the first time with my navonics... Just watch the map and keep an eye on where your going.

Yup, best advise. When people ask me for navigational tips on PdB, they just don't understand how quickly things can change an how difficult any tips might be to explain.

Head out from the dock, stay 57 yards off the shore, when you see the rock with the seagull shit all over it, swing hard left and head towards the big island with the tall tree, as soon as you see the eagles nest, trim up because it's only 3 feet deep, float over the reef, as soon as it hits 79', turn to the right and head towards the 5th pillar of the powerhouse, when you see the red buoy, stop and back up towards the yellow one, swing around and face south, then go 71 feet to ensure you miss the stump and head towards the sheer rock face, stop before you hit the cliff, drop anchor and fish. :D;)

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Stump...?

:lmao:

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
If you don't have a depth finder with chart capabilities, you can purchase paper copies for that area as well... If you do have a chartplotter, I think most guys are running Navionics 2XG cards...

Not sure if that stump is marked on there or not...:lol:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Can't tell you about android apps. But the chip in my humming bird works fine as far as maps go. Not perfect, but when watched while keeping an eye on your surroundings, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with getting a map. I have a few here at home as our cabin is on the high side and I navigate the waters on the low side every weekend. Send me a PM and I'll give you a few detailed maps from 8ft launch to the generating station. There are a few spots you need to watch out for.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also with the way the waters fluctuate on the low side between those two points, your best to use a map. All the locks are open on the spillway right now and I've personally never seen em all open at once. Its a good climb up the rapids as you take a left from the launch.

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Yup first time at 8 foot falls today, didn't power up enough at the rapids got turned around and front end got stuck in a whirlpool, we got out and wife said it isn't worth dying over a fish, so no Dino's for me.... Rattled me enough that I bent a load guide putting it on the trailer. I love my troll plate but it got me a bit sideways when the current hit it. Didn't expect it. First frak up in five years.

We are at eagles nest and we can hear the spillway roaring...

Above the dam we got a navionics chip and it was a god send, decently accurate, even marked a few hazards that are barely visible.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
It's definitely ripping fast water in the "rapids" this year. Even with the 90 HP on the runabout at cruising speed the boat still gets pushed around a little going up to the Power House this year!! Weird thing is that 2 years ago in late July early August there was next to no current and we had to navigate around stationary unanchored boats fishing for Walleye where there now is a very heavy current

1 - 13 of 13 Posts