Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting back into muskey fishing went to minaki such a big system of water could take years to get to know the where to fish for muskey.
any help or suggestion would be great.
thanks
BOB

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
A couple years ago, we stayed at a lodge in Minaki. They gave us a map and highlighted where to fish. We weren't after muskies so that wasn't highlighted. If it's a totally new body of water for you then it might be best to pay for local help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'M GLAD YOU FOUND MY INFORMATION USEFUL. THAT'S WHAT THIS COMMUNITY IS ALL ABOUT!!!

MAYBE ONE DAY I CAN SHOW YOU MY HOTSPOTS AND WE CAN HAVE A GOOD OL MUSKEY FISH FRY!!! MMMM MMMM GOOD!!

·
Administrator
1,474 Posts
To be honest, an expert could give me 10 of their best musky spots and I still probably couldn't catch one. Since you only get a few chances of even seeing one in a day, they are really hard to pattern. A spot that worked once has never worked again. Spots that never worked suddenly produce.

I have not fished Minaki before but in my opinion your best bet is to study a map and pick a bunch of spots. I try to pick clusters of reefs, fallen trees or points that seem fishy. My idea is that I can hit up a bunch of structure that I can move around with the trolling motor. I try to avoid spots that only have one piece of decent structure as then you're pulling up the trolling motor quickly after working the spot. My thoughts are the more time spent fishing and less time traveling will increase your chances of catching one.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be honest, an expert could give me 10 of their best musky spots and I still probably couldn't catch one. Since you only get a few chances of even seeing one in a day, they are really hard to pattern. A spot that worked once has never worked again. Spots that never worked suddenly produce.

I have not fished Minaki before but in my opinion your best bet is to study a map and pick a bunch of spots. I try to pick clusters of reefs, fallen trees or points that seem fishy. My idea is that I can hit up a bunch of structure that I can move around with the trolling motor. I try to avoid spots that only have one piece of decent structure as then you're pulling up the trolling motor quickly after working the spot. My thoughts are the more time spent fishing and less time traveling will increase your chances of catching one.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
THANKS

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hit as many spots as you can....fish fast and cover water to locate fish. Bucktails and topwaters are good for this.

In June-July-August(musky season opens 3rd Sat. in June) fish weedy (sandy, muddy) bays. If you can find cabbage weeds, you will locate musky eventually.
July-August-Sept fish more rocks, reefs, saddles, islands, points, and spots with deeper water near by. Fallen tree's hold musky just like they would hold bass. Boulders can be good too.

Thats a good d place to start...however musky can be deep in early season, and in shallow weeds later in the season. Only one way to find out!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts