Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for a Mercury mechanic who possibly works out of his own garage or shop anyone have any favorites out there i can contact, friend has a new 4 stroke 75hp water getting into the oil shop figures the bottom engine seals need replacing, they are to busy to look at it for some time, so looking for referances

·
Registered
969 Posts
I can’t see it being hard to do this if you have any mechanical skills and basic tools. You do need a puller for the bearing carrier but a slide hammer can be used. There are how to videos showing the process. If you’re going this far you may as well do the water pump impeller too. Do the seal on the shaft going to the engine. There may be a complete lower unit seal kit available for it. I’ve done a few other brand 15-35’s but not anything bigger. I have yet to do my Merc 90. Fluid is pristine when I changed it. Cheap insurance even if it’s clean.

Would it get done faster at the dealer if you took lower unit off and took it in?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Would it get done faster at the dealer if you took lower unit off and took it in?
Dealers are extremely busy now winterizing boats/outboards/inboards and also running up sleds for the season.........pretty sure that's why they are too busy to look at it........not sure only taking the bottom end in will persuade them, it only takes 10 mins to remove it to begin with....the time/labor involved is everything that comes after that.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Dealers are extremely busy now winterizing boats/outboards/inboards and also running up sleds for the season.........pretty sure that's why they are too busy to look at it........not sure only taking the bottom end in will persuade them, it only takes 10 mins to remove it to begin with....the time/labor involved is everything that comes after that.
They’re not having to have the boat in their parking lot taking up space. I doubt the tech will remove lower unit outside in 20 below. It will be less time for them with it drained and removed. Not a lot, but still better.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
They’re not having to have the boat in their parking lot taking up space. I doubt the tech will remove lower unit outside in 20 below. It will be less time for them with it drained and removed. Not a lot, but still better.

Maybe!

The alternative for the OP would be, winterize the bottom end, store till spring and make an appointment now for late April early May to have it serviced. It's new, so definitely a warranty repair. Had an issue with my new Yamaha too, discovered water in the bottom end while winterizing last fall, changed fluids, went to storage and had an appointment for the spring where it was serviced and repaired. Water pump seal not installed correctly from the factory, no charge warranty repair.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is not water in the bottom end , its water in the crankcase dealer suspects seals at the bottom of the engine, not sure if you yank the engine or the bottom end off/

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
this is not water in the bottom end , its water in the crankcase dealer suspects seals at the bottom of the engine, not sure if you yank the engine or the bottom end off/

Yikes.........ya I wouldn't trust anyone to do it but a certified dealer.....it's under warranty, not sure why someone would decide otherwise! I would do an engine oil change, let it sit in storage and have it repaired in the spring. I mean....the season is close to done anyway!

·
Registered
553 Posts
This could be as easy as the gasket/seal (possible powerhead removal) all the way up to a crack in a waterjacket meaning a new block - wouldn't be passing this on to just any backyarder if it were mine. I'd be replacing the oil and then taking it to service center of choice and leaving it for the winter with them as a filler job.
Have you buddy call the reputable shops and go from there.
Depending on location I'd be calling Jarret at Anchor Marine or Shawn at Shore to Shore.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I looked at my 2009 Merc 90 4 stroke as its base components are the same as the 75 and 115’s. I also looked at parts diagrams and I would find it to be a big job. For a trained mechanic, especially a Merc one, it would be easy I’m sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts