Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 14.5" it is well above the Master Angler length of 12". My first... Crappie and MA. You couldn't knock the smile off me with a stick.

Apart from its terrible brand marketing, (Crappie??? Really, you can't think of a better name??) the fish is maybe the best tasting I've had in a while. A little Cajun seasoning and light breading and yum. Light white flake, melt in your mouth.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Nice fish I'm trying to get a master smallmouth bass right now I live close to a stocked reservoir seen pics of some huge ones outta there my biggest is 15" so far.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was more luck than anything I think. I was trolling for walleye and came across this instead. I thought at first it was a perch coming out of the water but as soon as I saw the fins and distinctive colour I knew I was wrong. The funny part of the story is my neighbor at the lake catches these and puts them back saying they are not good to eat. WRONG. We did it up right away and it was delicious. I kinda wish I had it mounted though. It was a beast.

Good luck on the small mouth.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Crappie are great eating, but keep the smaller ones. They can be hit hard by keeping all the big ones. How's fishing on minnewasta? Exactly.
Funny you should mention lake Minnewasta... That's my home lake and this year the fishing is brutal compared to previous years. In the past it was not uncommon to catch a hand full of 12" and up Crappie this year lucky if you find something over 10" on any given day. It's unfortunate that this lake has turned into a freezer stocking lake and not just a stocked lake for fishing and releasing.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
It's unfortunate that this lake has turned into a freezer stocking lake and not just a stocked lake for fishing and releasing.
The downfall of Minnewasta is that there arent a ton of fishing options in the area, and the area is fairly populated. On top of that, the internet cowboys like to make maps to Crappie lakes.

Another trouble for Crappies in general is-- the stigma that every Crappie is to be kept and eaten..... most fishermen wouldn't keep a 26" Walleye to eat, but they won't hesitate to keep a 14+" Crappie.

Several Crappie fisheries have gone thru the beat down......and guys that have no clue about these things will still make maps and send "private" messages :rolleyes: to anybody with a laptop or smartphone..... some folks just don't get it until after "their" favorite Crappie lake is completely beat to shit.

It's kinda too late for Minnewasta.....it's pretty much a community fishing spot.....but the sooner guys realize when it comes to Crappie and the internet---locations are a huge faux pas....the sooner we will see a decline in Crappie water declining

In my short ten years or so of taking fishing seriously, I've seen first hand 3 very good Crappie fisheries take a HARD nose dive (with a 4th in the process), and the internet and ignorant sods are 100% to blame.....Mother Nature had nothing to do with it....all blame goes to stupid greedy people. Whether it's food in the pan, boat deals and/or tackle discounts from whoring on social media.....greedy people.

I'm speaking in mostly generalities....I'm not looking to pick a fight with anyone....my intentions come more from a standpoint of basically some head-shaking and a "when are some folks gonna learn?" point of view

It's really too bad, but i don't think this trend is going anywhere.......

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Ageed MikeBee, about the Internet broadcasts of, in this case Crappie spots but I have little hope that this will stop. You could get agreement from 99.9% of the "cowboys" and with today's "being connected" the .1% can screw it up. But it's not hopeless. What I think is a possible solution is resource management. I.E limit of 2 under 12" or what ever. I know that MB conservation has taken a real budget kicking but how expensive is it to write a few more lines in the regs. At least this may educate people and well the law breakers...

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I think a great start would be- Limit of six (no change) and "only one can be over 13 inches" ......the *one over* is for the folks that are really into getting a skin mount of a rare fish like 16"+ ....I could do without it but that reg would be for the sake of making everyone happy.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
dchammond- I hope you don't feel like we're beating up on you for that one fish. That's not my intention anyway. But now that you know what "the going rate" is for keepers, you can form your own opinion going forward whether you'd rather keep or release the bigger ones.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I agree that most people that fish for food all the time will and have destroyed ..not just crappie but what ever they are fishing for. Awe its just a couple more. .what difference will it make. .

My late uncles .rest there soles. .the men who introduced me into fishing some 40 plus years ago..and I know it was only pike..never that I can remember that more then a legal daily limit was kept ...but always stayed till you got your limit..and my point is the old school mentality. Is still apon us..and the bucket burgaders are right there. .holding up there end...

As far as eating a crappie. .couldn't tell you..never kept one or eat one..well we just dont have many in our area. .and the ones that are hear. Are in one lake and there are no small ones. Well small being 13 in.and up to 17 in..and only can seem to be caught in the spring. .so I have never caught one under 13 .5 in si I wouldn't bother to keep it..

Educating people will take generations. .but I does have to start somewhere. .so that your grandchildren might just have some of manitoba's fine fish. To catch and eat..

Manuac

·
Registered
287 Posts
Further to Mikebee's points on sharing info (internet or word of mouth)

Interesting dichotomy of information sharing with the fishing crowd compared to the hunting guys (site):

Hunting site:

Q Where is there good whitetail hunting, big bucks?
A (Crickets)

Q Where can I find turkeys?
A (Crickets)

Q Where's a good marsh hunt? How do I access it?
A (Crickets)

Q. I'm taking my young nephew turkey hunting. I've never hunted before and don't know where to go. Can you tell me what kind of equipment, who to talk to, when do I call, etc, etc.
A (Crickets).

This last ploy cracks me up on this site where everyone lines up to give info like it's a busty blonde needing help on the side of the road. Posts = 1 probably means someone looking to shortcut putting in some work.

If you find a good fishing spot, fish stacked up, biting like crazy, big ones, nice area - you have to go Sgt. Schultz on it when it's 200 miles of where you reside. The magazine writers and show hosts get paid to ruin some spots (for the article, show - not for ruining) - all you get is a ruined spot.

Consider your responses carefully as to how it will affect the fishery and your personal experience if you happen to go there again.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Further to Mikebee's points on sharing info (internet or word of mouth)

Interesting dichotomy of information sharing with the fishing crowd compared to the hunting guys (site):

Hunting site:

Q Where is there good whitetail hunting, big bucks?
A (Crickets)

Q Where can I find turkeys?
A (Crickets)

Q Where's a good marsh hunt? How do I access it?
A (Crickets)

Q. I'm taking my young nephew turkey hunting. I've never hunted before and don't know where to go. Can you tell me what kind of equipment, who to talk to, when do I call, etc, etc.
A (Crickets).

This last ploy cracks me up on this site where everyone lines up to give info like it's a busty blonde needing help on the side of the road. Posts = 1 probably means someone looking to shortcut putting in some work.

If you find a good fishing spot, fish stacked up, biting like crazy, big ones, nice area - you have to go Sgt. Schultz on it when it's 200 miles of where you reside. The magazine writers and show hosts get paid to ruin some spots (for the article, show - not for ruining) - all you get is a ruined spot.

Consider your responses carefully as to how it will affect the fishery and your personal experience if you happen to go there again.
Gotta admit I feel hunting is a tad different , I've asked question about marshes on the other forum and received slim answers , my questions weren't even about spots they were about general rules and laws, can I shoot here or here etc....
Fishing everyone can access the same lake maps of MB , pick a lake and start your adventure you can't really break laws casting a rod, a lot different than a gun.
People that post Fishing spots online most likely do not understand what a sensitive fishery is , they hear from there uncles cousin you can catch crappie at a lake go there limit out and come online to flaunt thinking if I can catch them there must be millions in that lake. Unlike lake w where I feel like there is a very healthy amount of fish and could be better but could be worse

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gotta admit I feel hunting is a tad different , I've asked question about marshes on the other forum and received slim answers , my questions weren't even about spots they were about general rules and laws, can I shoot here or here etc....
Fishing everyone can access the same lake maps of MB , pick a lake and start your adventure you can't really break laws casting a rod, a lot different than a gun.
People that post Fishing spots online most likely do not understand what a sensitive fishery is , they hear from there uncles cousin you can catch crappie at a lake go there limit out and come online to flaunt thinking if I can catch them there must be millions in that lake. Unlike lake w where I feel like there is a very healthy amount of fish and could be better but could be worse
I agree with you that it is different, but same values and the same people.

When you have been hunting for a while and into different species, techniques, you have put a lot of time into finding spots (which cost you gas, money from maps, time traveling and cultivating relationships with landowners, etc), so when someone asks a question like those I posed above, the chance that a hunter has put in this effort is going to give it up is zero - hence you often see a response that seems rude, but really is someone telling the person to put some effort into it.

I think the same crowd of hunting folks that is also on the fishing side feel similar in that a good fishing spot should be protected from social media exploitation - if you put the effort in maybe you will find it, maybe you'll find your own good spot - but don't tell everyone so it gets overrun and overexploited. Also - in general nobody begrudges someone harvesting some fish or game if they put the effort into it. There are some exceptions such as some of the bigger lakes and some of the highly regulated lakes or very inaccessible where it won't hurt to say anything, as either nothing bad can happen or it actually will take some real effort for someone to go there. In any event, there is sometimes going to be possibly unintended negative consequences of sharing info intended to he helpful, so this should be considered before posting

1 - 20 of 21 Posts