Manitoba Fishing Forum - The Premier Fishing Forum Of Manitoba banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a member a while but never posted usually just sign in to check on early ice conditions. My name Tyler..so hello.

Wife and I have been going down st Peter's road as its 10 mins from our home. Been out 4 days in a row now. Cought a cpl eaters few days ago but two days in a row been hammering 10in walleye nothing worth keeping.

But today oh my... around 1ish decide to walk a few hundred feet away from where our gear was. Previous people had some holes drilled. Drop a pink jig and minnow. Hits the bottom and I gently give it a cpl jigs and wham... thought I hit a cat fish or bass. I'm only running 6lb line and knowing got something heavy. Reel it to the surface of the water and I see a white belly and say to my self " ah damn rock bass" but nope it's a walleye. I go to pull it out and snapped the line right at the jig. It's to big to escape the hole so I pull it out by hand and its big boy. It had to be at least 30 inch.It was a fat one had to be 10 15 lb. Too far away from my gear for pic or measurement but my ice scoop is at least that long as that was lying beside the hole. I put it back fairly quick as I'm either keeping for food or releasing right away.

I'm not looking for adulation or my name in a record as we fish for food but that was the biggest walleye I've caught and thought I'd share cause we all like to know they're out there.

Anyway good luck fishing. Well head out again tmrw hoping for dinner.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
There's definitely some big ones swimming around in LW and the Red. Haven't heard as many landed this year but they're definitely there.

Also, in case this ever happens again and you want to take a pic and measurement, as you you mentioned they can't swim backwards. If there is enough ice, you can put it back into the water tail first and it should still be there by the time you come back for a measurement. I've seen people also keep a pair of lip grabbers tied to a rope on them for added security that it won't get away.

Cheers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The season on the Red has been great to my wife and I. Enough to enjoy fish fry every weekend.

Finally caught another master. Tried a few of our regular spots Monday, being warm we bounced around. Decided to try deep. 32 ft. Lots of marks at varying depth. Wife was jigging the bottom. I was using a glow spoon with a minnow head. Seen some big Mark's at 23 ft so raised up and jiggled the lure at about 22.5 ft. Mark came up and my line went slack. Definitely a great battle to get it through the ice. I run 6lb line so I let the fish set the pace. Great fish! Just shy of 28 and half!!
! 20210222_104811.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any tips for jigging deeper parts of the river in terms finding the bottom? I'm newer to ice fishing on the Red (vs. on lakes) so I've had a big harder time keeping track of the bottom. Although I've been trying just down lockport so maybe the current is stronger there.

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Lighter mono line and heavier jig. Both will get you down faster. If you're fishing really deep in heavy current then it might still not be possible to pick up the jig in the same hole and might need to drill a separate hole a few feet away for your transducer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts