Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried a cell phone booster up at Manitgotagan i know cell service is spotty was planning on camping up there for 10 days and would like some service if possible Would like to know if anyone has tried a booster and did it work

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i just purchased a WeBoost model FG#470135F it is suppose to be for rv or vehicle my main reason is using it as a hotspot for my laptop I get to try it till july 1st to see if it works do you have any suggestions

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I am not familiar with cellular reception at Manigotogan but in my experiences, a cellular booster can be hit and miss. A booster only works when there is at least some signal. If you are getting 1-2 bars of reception, then it will likely work. Anything less, then not likely. Location away from buildings or heavy tree cover can also help in those fringe areas. Surprizingly, network congestion at peak usage times will also reduce your reception range. Another more permanent option to extend range is to use a directional, external Yagi antennae, attached to the booster (if compatable) with low loss cable, located up in a higher location and pointed towards the cellular tower. For internet purposes, Starlink has now made their Dishy McFlatface portable and able moved to different locations, but it rather expensive.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
i just purchased a WeBoost model FG#470135F it is suppose to be for rv or vehicle my main reason is using it as a hotspot for my laptop I get to try it till july 1st to see if it works do you have any suggestions

Believe that unit has a pretty low gain.....maybe around 25db, which is fairly low. The RV models I'm familiar with are better than 50db gain and never really had an issue. Not sure if the 25db will cut it.... might, then again my experience has been with more powerful units. If in the budget maybe consider a more power full booster.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not familiar with cellular reception at Manigotogan but in my experiences, a cellular booster can be hit and miss. A booster only works when there is at least some signal. If you are getting 1-2 bars of reception, then it will likely work. Anything less, then not likely. Location away from buildings or heavy tree cover can also help in those fringe areas. Surprizingly, network congestion at peak usage times will also reduce your reception range. Another more permanent option to extend range is to use a directional, external Yagi antennae, attached to the booster (if compatable) with low loss cable, located up in a higher location and pointed towards the cellular tower. For internet purposes, Starlink has now made their Dishy McFlatface portable and able moved to different locations, but it rather expensive.
going to be in my fifth wheel camper so permanent is out but thanks anyways they told me service was spotty up there what ever that means i mite just hit the luck spot lol

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Believe that unit has a pretty low gain.....maybe around 25db, which is fairly low. The RV models I'm familiar with are better than 50db gain and never really had an issue. Not sure if the 25db will cut it.... might, then again my experience has been with more powerful units. If in the budget maybe consider a more power full booster.
ok thank you for the advice mite have to spend a bit more if possible this unit was ....$299 plus taxes getting up there

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Agree with BGF.
I have used 50-60-70db units (Wilson brand, which is now We-Boost) and definitely the more power the better the final result.
I also used mine for a personal hotspot for laptop.
Expect to pay $600-1000 depending on what your needs are. If just you, and you don't want to light up a large area, the 50db should work.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agree with BGF.
I have used 50-60-70db units (Wilson brand, which is now We-Boost) and definitely the more power the better the final result.
I also used mine for a personal hotspot for laptop.
Expect to pay $600-1000 depending on what your needs are. If just you, and you don't want to light up a large area, the 50db should work.
im just looking for something that will allow my cell ph to give me a hotspot for 2-3 weeks up there after that im heading south to rock lake and pelican where srevice is ok

1 - 10 of 10 Posts