Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I made it out today with buddy Alex. It started off slow and stayed that way. Tons of big marks in the same spot I caught in yesterday but they wouldn't bite. Not sure what they were but they didn't have the wider arch shape like drum. We caught 12 Wallies all morning. Shortly after noon, we moved to a new area. They started biting like June crazy as soon as our lines hit the water. It didn't take long before I caught a 29.5". We ended the day with 70 Wallies, with very few under 20". Lots were 22"- 24", a few 25", a good 8 were 26". A few Sauger, quite a few Perch and only 2 drum. Quite the agressive Walleye bite! High lifts and tight to bottom cadences were both working well at different times. Here is a picture:

Water Cloud Sky Boat Fisherman

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Lirwin4, I always read your reports and find valuable insight from them. Thanks for always taking the time to share with us. I have a question for you if you do not mind. But before, I will mention that I bought a fishing boat about 4 years ago and I have made good use of it ( 2003 17.5 foot lund pro angler ). Lot's on lake Manitoba, some on Balsam and Pine Falls. I have never done the West Side of LW though. So I am curious. I have a fish finder and have used it best I can and we generally can find some fish. However, Mid July to August is the tough part as the fish do not appear to be in the usual spots. I understand that as the water warms the move out further to deeper/cooler surroundings.

As I follow your reports I see you have very good success through out the summer - even July and August ( fantastic! ). My question is -

1. How far out do you usually go to catch ( say first week of August )?

People always say - you have to go out far during the warmer months. But I am always wondering how far? I am always trying to be safe on the big lakes ( Winnipeg and Manitoba ). So I try and keep the distance with in reason. Maybe I am just not out far enough. Any Input would be appreciated.

T.F.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi Lirwin4, I always read your reports and find valuable insight from them. Thanks for always taking the time to share with us. I have a question for you if you do not mind. But before, I will mention that I bought a fishing boat about 4 years ago and I have made good use of it ( 2003 17.5 foot lund pro angler ). Lot's on lake Manitoba, some on Balsam and Pine Falls. I have never done the West Side of LW though. So I am curious. I have a fish finder and have used it best I can and we generally can find some fish. However, Mid July to August is the tough part as the fish do not appear to be in the usual spots. I understand that as the water warms the move out further to deeper/cooler surroundings.

As I follow your reports I see you have very good success through out the summer - even July and August ( fantastic! ). My question is -

1. How far out do you usually go to catch ( say first week of August )?

People always say - you have to go out far during the warmer months. But I am always wondering how far? I am always trying to be safe on the big lakes ( Winnipeg and Manitoba ). So I try and keep the distance with in reason. Maybe I am just not out far enough. Any Input would be appreciated.

T.F.
Thanks for the praise. IMO, the Walleye bite definitely is slower starting a week or two into the mayfly hatch (mid July). It normally picks up again mid September but The June/ early July (post spawn) bite is the best! I had some success this Summer but it was considerably slower for both big fish and numbers. I found the bite to be hit and miss, here one day, gone the next!

Generally speaking, I don't go more than a few miles from the launch, and depending on depth, never more than about a half mile from shore. If one has the ambition to cover lots of water, burn gas and move lots to different areas (I don't), you can often find them if you put in the time. Bigger moves to a new area are mostly required if they don't seem to be in a general area.

I think the biggest mistake most people make in fishing for Summer LW Wallies, or Wallies anywhere, is overlooking shallow water. They can often be found right up on shallow reefs, windblown shorelines, and shallow, rocky areas and mud flats in 5-15 fow, even mid day. Personally, I don't fish in water over 25 feet deep due to barotrauma. Another common mistake is assuming that there are no fish around, if you are not marking. If they are very tight to a mud bottom or in rocks, as is common in Summer, they won't show on your screen.

IMO, distance on water is relative to your comfort and safety level. Watching the wind forecast closely, having a good map (AEM is awesome) and the HP to get back fast if conditions change are strongly recommended. Offshore winds are not nearly as bad as North or South winds on the West shore. Even then, you will find times, when it's time to head back now! Good luck!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Lirwin4, i too have been following your posts and sharing your wealth of expierences wiith us, not many other fishers share techniques such as jig cadence etc. and i Salute you and please keep educating us novice fishers
We have had this discussion before and it can be the difference between fish or no fish. Most anglers do not experiment enough to trigger a bite when the fishing gets tuff. Jigging is more than a up down, up down rythem which does work sometimes. Experiment. This year a hi lift and a controlled fall worked well for me with most hits on the way down. This does and did change from day to day. Applies in the winter as well, maybe moreso...... Equipment that enables an angler to detect the slightest irregularity is a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts