Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gorgeous weather out with near calm conditions for the past 2 days. I now wear a thin balaclava style head coving pulled up over my ears and head area, a brimmed hat and thin latex gloves to help protest against dangerous UV rays. Even then my face area still gets a little burnt. Wednesday started off slow but they gradually tricked in. About 10:00, I landed a nice 29" followed shortly after by a real chunky 30". By 10:30, the bite died. I moved around, catching a few here and there but not getting onto a good bite. I ended the day with 67 Wallies.

Thursday started off slow for me. A few here and there but nothing big. After several moves, around noon, I finally started catching good. Three big fish in a row got off on me, then I didn't miss much. Quite a few 25, 26, 27", including a super fat one, a 28" and a 29". As usual they came through in waves, with pods of big fish passing through every now and then. Sometimes there are even lenghtly lulls between bites, but having the patience to wait them out can often be rewarding. My jigging cadences are starting to get pretty routine for me. The high lift pause technique was working the best when they were more aggresive, and the tight to bottom twitching technique when they were negative. Switching back and forth and varying cadences often makes a huge difference in catch rates. It's not that they weren't there, it was one of those days where there were so tight to bottom, that they weren't showing up on my electronics. Again, all were caught on my usual bubblegum jig, braid stinger and salted shiner. I quit fishing with a hour of light still left when I reached a total of 100 Wallies for the day. Here are some pictures:

Food Blue Mammal Seafood Fish

Vertebrate Fin Fish Marine biology Fish products

Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish Seafood

Water Seafood Fish Fin Marine biology

Food Vertebrate Seafood Fish Ingredient

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Incredible how fat and tall the Lake Winnipeg pickeral get! So much different than the shield lake ones I'm used to. Always look forward to these posts, cheers sir.
Thanks! Yes, there are some real footballs, especially in late hardwater seaon, pre spawn fish! Pictures don't really do them justice! Besides the olive green colouring, LW Walleye have a very distinctive apearance. Although not as common, there are some that are even bluebacks. LW Walleye also have a smaller head, a sharp sloping forehead and are quite chunky from the abundance of forage, mostly consisting of Emerald Shiners. They grow considerably faster compared to most waters, I am told up to half the age for a 28" size LW fish. In comparism, a LOTW Walleye is much older, has a much larger tail, bigger head and a gentle sloping forehead. Shield Walleye are also more gold coloured or even black from tea stained, muskeg rich waters.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Lirwin, real nice seeing and chatting with you out on the water. The advise you gave me and shared here on the forum really increased my bite rate on Thursday and Friday improving my numbers for sure. The bite on Friday morning was very similar to what we saw on Thursday evening, was an awesome way to end my four day trip! Thanks, I hope to see you out there again soon.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lirwin, real nice seeing and chatting with you out on the water. The advise you gave me and shared here on the forum really increased my bite rate on Thursday and Friday improving my numbers for sure. The bite on Friday morning was very similar to what we saw on Thursday evening, was an awesome way to end my four day trip! Thanks, I hope to see you out there again soon.

Wayne
Where's your report and pictures?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts