Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Too nice a day not to be out fishing! It was almost dead calm and they were on fire right from the get go. The action was pretty much non stop and never really slowed down until late afternoon when the wind came up. I don't know how many times, I had a bite as soon as my line hit bottom. At noon, I landed 5 big fish in a row. By 7:30, I ran out of minnows, going through 5 tubs so I called it a day. Straight up and down with no pause worked the best in the morning and high lift, pause in the afternoon. I never moved all day! I ended up with 206 Wallies. Crazy big fish bite! I easily caught 2 dozen 26", over a dozen 27", 5-28", 3-29" and a 31". Here are some pictures:

Food Fish Seafood Salmon-like fish Fish products

Food Vertebrate Handwriting Fish Fish products

Food Fish Fin Seafood Fish products

Azure Food Fin Seafood Water

Food Vertebrate Fish Fin Marine biology

Food Fish Fin Seafood Tail

Water Fin Organism Fish Marine biology

Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin Marine biology

Vertebrate Seafood Fin Fish Fish products

·
Registered
413 Posts
Wow awesome day!.....what depth were you fishing?...where are you buying your bait?.....Bait is getting quite expensive!
Yes bait is getting expensive, and quality is going down in most cases..... If you had a butcher in your area which sold rotten meat would you buy his product at a high price? I do not think so. The retailers are not blameless either, they keep selling the junk. At this time there is no incentive for the producer to improve. Too bad.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yesterday, I was fishing in 20 fow. I rarely move from this depth. Lots of baitfish around where I was fishing. Yes, it is hard to find good, quality minnows at a reasonable price these days. Supply is becoming a major problem. I catch some of my own shiners but that usually doesn't go very far. I mainly buy, always salted, by the case from a local, unnamed supplier in the Spring. I find that Spring minnows come from colder waters and hold together better. A lot of the quality problem comes from retaillers that don't store their minnows at a cold enough temperature. There are also some good case lots deals every now and then, but supply is often limited and subject to seasonal availability. All I will say is, get them while you can! IMO, Northern Lites are usually pretty decent. When out fishing, I carry a small cooler with ice packs on the bottom and sides to keep them cold between tubs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Too nice a day not to be out fishing! It was almost dead calm and they were on fire right from the get go. The action was pretty much non stop and never really slowed down until late afternoon when the wind came up. I don't know how many times, I had a bite as soon as my line hit bottom. At noon, I landed 5 big fish in a row. By 7:30, I ran out of minnows, going through 5 tubs so I called it a day. Straight up and down with no pause worked the best in the morning and high lift, pause in the afternoon. I never moved all day! I ended up with 206 Wallies. Crazy big fish bite! I easily caught 2 dozen 26", over a dozen 27", 5-28", 3-29" and a 31". Here are some pictures:

View attachment 121425

View attachment 121423

View attachment 121419

View attachment 121424

View attachment 121422

View attachment 121417

View attachment 121421

View attachment 121420

View attachment 121418
Yesterday, I was fishing in 20 fow. I rarely move from this depth. Lots of baitfish around where I was fishing. Yes, it is hard to find good, quality minnows at a reasonable price these days. Supply is becoming a major problem. I catch some of my own shiners but that usually doesn't go very far. I mainly buy, always salted, by the case from a local, unnamed supplier in the Spring. I find that Spring minnows come from colder waters and hold together better. A lot of the quality problem comes from retaillers that don't store their minnows at a cold enough temperature. There are also some good case lots deals every now and then, but supply is often limited and subject to seasonal availability. All I will say is, get them while you can! IMO, Northern Lites are usually pretty decent. When out fishing, I carry a small cooler with ice packs on the bottom and sides to keep them cold between tubs.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Lirwin4 you are a walleye" Champion", without a doubt ! I thought your Red River posts of a couple of years ago were amazing, but since moving to the Lake you have really locked on. I notice that your technique has stayed pretty much the same. Awesome. Thanks for the reports and added tips. Location, Location, Location????? has to be a key factor. ( not a hint LOL)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Okay thanks... that's close to the depth I was finding them at Hecla and yes I always bring a cooler with ice packs also.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lirwin4 you are a walleye" Champion", without a doubt ! I thought your Red River posts of a couple of years ago were amazing, but since moving to the Lake you have really locked on. I notice that your technique has stayed pretty much the same. Awesome. Thanks for the reports and added tips. Location, Location, Location????? has to be a key factor. ( not a hint LOL)
Thanks for the praise. No real secret spots, just lots of time and passion! Yesterday was just at the right place at the right time, finding fish following baitfish. I am old school and am almost always out there all day. I still have lots to learn and to work on. My biggest flaw, although it can it can also an asset at times as well, is that I am lazy and don't move as often as I should. I don't have livescope or virtual anchor technology and I don't put a whole lot of faith in my electronics. I am stuck with my gen 2 HDS8 c/w original transducer. I find it is not uncommon for fish to be so tight to bottom, that they don't show up on the screen. It never ceases to amaze me how a simple change in jigging cadence, even a slight, subtle variation, can be a huge trigger for moody fish. Most often, I find the length of the pause and speed of the drop to be the biggest factors. Contrary to popular belief, slow finesse jigging is not usually best to trigger negative fish. Speed cranking, ripping, snap jigging, freefall drops, etc. more often are. Some days, they won't touch it, unless you make them chase.

As for location and finding spots, I cannot say enough good about Anglers Edge Mapping. It is a real eye opener! It is very accurate and has helped me discover many new stucture/ features/ spots that I never knew existed before. The depth colour coding system is awesome! AEM has helped me immensely to better understand fish movements and patterns. As for location or spot on a spot, I have some waypoints saved that have special structure such as mud flats, boulders, drop offs, current seams, etc. that are favorites, but quite often I find that structure is not a big factor on LW. Seasonal migration patterns and baitfish movements are key. We are so fortunate to have such an amazing, world class Walley fishery in our back yard!

·
Registered
262 Posts
You don't realize how bad frozen minnows are until you happen to find some that are not mush. These mushy ones must have been frozen and thawed multiple times. I guess many are mush before being salted. It takes a lot of effort to produce crap like this consistently. I am moving to artificials for this reason.

·
Registered
413 Posts
May I add.... When a person does find decent salted minnows, fresh caught in the spring he must do his part in keeping them. Freezers must be at a cold enough temp to keep the minnows and the brine frozen solid after purchase.

·
Registered
262 Posts
May I add.... When a person does find decent salted minnows, fresh caught in the spring he must do his part in keeping them. Freezers must be at a cold enough temp to keep the minnows and the brine frozen solid after purchase.
Any normal functioning deep freezer is more than cold enough. Frost free/auto defrost can cause freeze thaw cycles which can turn vulnerable products like ice cream, shrimp, frozen vegetables or salty items into mush. Depends on the freezer but many defrost 2 or 3 times a day and often get quite warm. Others cause few problems. There is little excuse for this to happen with the producer or distributor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts