Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many days with lighter winds lately so today was about as good as it was going to get for a while. The forecast called for SE winds of 18 kmph decreasing to 10 kmph by 11 am. Although the winds were not heavy, they were gusty and rogue waves were over 3 feet. I knew it was only going to get better as the day progressed so I ventured out. It was a slow, rough ride, but I didn't have to go all that far. With all the bobbing up and down, it took me a while to figure out the bite. High lifts and fast drops seemed to be the trigger. I started catching pretty good. I had one on that pretty much came straight up. I was surprized to see how big it was because it didn't fight much. It was a 28". By noon, the wind became quite light, under 10 kmph and the bite died. I tried adjusting my jigging cadence to match their negative mood and caught a few but it was slow. I don't say this often, but it would appear that they mostly moved on. The few that were around were very tight to bottom and not showing up on the electronics. I moved around in short hops in the same general area but didn't catch any better for the remainder of the day. Water temperature climbed from 15° to 17.5° C (59° to 63.5° F). I ended the day with 76 Wallies, quite a few dinks, lots of 20", a few 24- 26", 2-27" and a 28".

Food Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's definately challenging lately trying to find days that aren't too windy on the big lake. With the ridiculous price of gas, it's even harder trying to put a few days in a row together to make the trip worthwhile. Like many, I too find myself staying closer to home lately. Fortunately, home is a lot closer to the action for me than most. Tomorrow is looking real good with lighter, offshore West winds! Thursday/ Friday is looking good too but that can change yet. I find Windy.com to be quite reliable. Windfinder is also good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts