Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not many days with lighter winds lately so today was about as good as it was going to get for a while. The forecast called for SE winds of 18 kmph decreasing to 10 kmph by 11 am. Although the winds were not heavy, they were gusty and rogue waves were over 3 feet. I knew it was only going to get better as the day progressed so I ventured out. It was a slow, rough ride, but I didn't have to go all that far. With all the bobbing up and down, it took me a while to figure out the bite. High lifts and fast drops seemed to be the trigger. I started catching pretty good. I had one on that pretty much came straight up. I was surprized to see how big it was because it didn't fight much. It was a 28". By noon, the wind became quite light, under 10 kmph and the bite died. I tried adjusting my jigging cadence to match their negative mood and caught a few but it was slow. I don't say this often, but it would appear that they mostly moved on. The few that were around were very tight to bottom and not showing up on the electronics. I moved around in short hops in the same general area but didn't catch any better for the remainder of the day. Water temperature climbed from 15° to 17.5° C (59° to 63.5° F). I ended the day with 76 Wallies, quite a few dinks, lots of 20", a few 24- 26", 2-27" and a 28".

Food Vertebrate Seafood Fish Fin

·
Registered
166 Posts
Good on you LIrwin for getting out with cooperative winds...I have been off and have been frustrated with the windy weather we have been having which is preventing me from spending my gas money......my golf game is improving though....LOL!!!!! Nice report, look forward to hearing your wisdom out the water in the near future................

Wayne

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it's definately challenging lately trying to find days that aren't too windy on the big lake. With the ridiculous price of gas, it's even harder trying to put a few days in a row together to make the trip worthwhile. Like many, I too find myself staying closer to home lately. Fortunately, home is a lot closer to the action for me than most. Tomorrow is looking real good with lighter, offshore West winds! Thursday/ Friday is looking good too but that can change yet. I find Windy.com to be quite reliable. Windfinder is also good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts