Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 2007 Lund Tyee with a 24V Minnkota trolling motor with dual batteries and a dual charger. There are 5 red and 1 green indicating lights per side. When I plugged it in it was showing 4 red on one and 5 on the other. Left it over night and no change. Went fishing and ran the batteries almost dead after about 2 hours. Thought that was a bit short for what the charger was showing. At the end of the day plugged it back in and the indicating lights still showed the same.

Besides "Lund Special Edition Dual Pro" it has "Charging Systems International". I was not given a manual and cannot find much online.

Are the batteries screwed? Or charger? I am thinking I should try my other charger.

Thanks for the replies in advance.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like maybe something with the charger. I have a similar one and after a day of use only the first red light comes on. As the batteries progressively charge up more red lights come on. Finally when the batteries are full the red lights go off and the green light comes on, flashing at first, then solid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like maybe something with the charger. I have a similar one and after a day of use only the first red light comes on. As the batteries progressively charge up more red lights come on. Finally when the batteries are full the red lights go off and the green light comes on, flashing at first, then solid.
How long does it typically take to charge? I don't think the previous owner has used or charged the batteries in some time.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I think a good first step would be to have the batteries tested. False charger reading plus short lasting usually = worn out batteries. They are probably from 2007, if so they are due. Best part may be the charger is just fine.

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I would take them to MB Battery or similar establishment and get their opinion. They can test the batteries on the spot and tell you if the problem is with them or the charger. Having said that, one of the comments I got was that to get the best reading on a battery it should be charged before pressure testing it so maybe you need to try and charge the batteries first with another charger before making the trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a good first step would be to have the batteries tested. False charger reading plus short lasting usually = worn out batteries. They are probably from 2007, if so they are due. Best part may be the charger is just fine.
The previous owner said he replaced them a couple years ago

I have put a different charger on one and will see what it does. If nothing changes I will be taking them down.

They are Mercury batteries. What brand, size, do you guys recommend?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
The previous owner said he replaced them a couple years ago

I have put a different charger on one and will see what it does. If nothing changes I will be taking them down.

They are Mercury batteries. What brand, size, do you guys recommend?

Thanks
Depends what size fits, group 27 or 31, Northstar AGM's.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Battery issue. Lead acids last from 2-5 year, sometimes more, sometimes less - all depending on how well they are looked after. It sounds to me like these are pooched for whatever reason - if you see that the sides/end are bulged a wee bit, they froze and are done. Get the best you can afford.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts