Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I don't get out ice fishing very often (haven't been out at all this year) and just wondering where a good place to access the river would be. I have a AWD SUV and would also be ok walking on just don't know the easiest places to access. I've been to EOM before and that's definitely easy and I've been to CIL Road but don't know how that access works and where to park if walking on.

Also, what's the thickness on the ice these days?

Open to any suggestions. Not looking for your secret fishing coordinates.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am a big fan of the float plane base just on the edge of Selkirk. Easy to drive out but if your a little nervous about that you can haul your stuff onto the ice, only like 50 yards out and your in good depth. Ice is pretty thick right now, not sure exactly but id assume close to 2 feet. I am not sure about your shelter situation but the wind really rips through this part of the river so don't forget your pegs! Good luck sir.

·
Administrator
1,474 Posts
I drove my pickup on the ice last weekend. Ice thickness is not an issue but there's lots of snow that could be a challenge if your clearance is not good enough. Though I was in a lesser known area of the river that has a lot less traffic. I nearly got stuck a few times.

I would say EOM, CIL, FPB and the Hwy 4 bridge will be your best bet.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
There is a parking area when you reach the bottom of the hill at CIL before hitting the ice. There are a lot of permies and guys almost everyday on the ice around CIL.

I was driving over the Selkirk bridge today and I was surprised to see 4-door sedan parked on the ice. We did receive a lot of snow recently in the area and the wind has created snow drifts so you have to be careful and watch out for these.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts