Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few years a buddy of mine and myself get one week per year to get away from the wife and kids to hunt MUSKIE!!!
We have had some great times. Minaki at sunset point is great. Rough Rock lodge was also good. Nielsons fly in at Rowan lake is FREAKIN FANTASTIC!!!. Next year we are thinking of going to Clarks Camp on the Indian Lake chain north of Vermillion bay. I dont want to pay more than $1000. For a week of cabin and boat ( does not have to be american plan). I am also considering Lac Seul as a destination. Any other sugestions for a lodge like this would be great!!!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Re: looking for a great muskie drive to lodge in sunset coun

WOW, Consider yourself Lucky to fish the locations you've mentioned, as not everyone can enjoy where you've been, I'm sure you'll have memorable trips in the future ;) Wish I can help,, but I'm a Broke a$$ fisherman :p

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts

a good guy to talk to about musky fishing is Craig Stapon, he's been doing it for over 30 years

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts

Tinman said:
a good guy to talk to about musky fishing is Craig Stapon, he's been doing it for over 30 years
Go see Sam at Wholesale aka MuskyHunter for a bit of advice :cool:

·
Premium Member
290 Posts

Give Justin a call at Mylie's Place near Morson .....easy drive through the USA and reasonable.

·
Registered
137 Posts

I second fishncamp's suggestion. Mylies Place for the Sabaskong Bay area. Justin runs a very organized camp and is a musky fishing addict. Many of his guests are fishing for musky and we end up sharing information when our Musky Club goes on our outings there.

Another place our Club goes to is Cedar Point Lodge on Eagle Lake. Great musky fishing and the owner and guides are very helpful.

We have also been to MuskieMamma's (Linda Rice) place at Lac Seul, Moosehorn Lodge. Linda is also a musky fishing addict and she and her guide are very helpful.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Manitoba Musky said:
I second fishncamp's suggestion. Mylies Place for the Sabaskong Bay area. Justin runs a very organized camp and is a musky fishing addict. Many of his guests are fishing for musky and we end up sharing information when our Musky Club goes on our outings there.

Another place our Club goes to is Cedar Point Lodge on Eagle Lake. Great musky fishing and the owner and guides are very helpful.

We have also been to MuskieMamma's (Linda Rice) place at Lac Seul, Moosehorn Lodge. Linda is also a musky fishing addict and she and her guide are very helpful.
Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I will do my homework on all of those places. Try to see if i can squeeze two trips in this year. i am thinking about Cliff lake (wild eyes camp) across the road from cedar lake. I have not fished either. If I stay at one of Clarks resorts I think they have boats cached on cedar and cliff. Lac Seul looks tempting but I think we are looking for more numbers than size. If you have had any expeeriance (possitive or negative) please post. I would love to join an essox club but I only get so many days a year to fish Muskie.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts

isn't there outfits in Minaki that cater to musky guys??

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Tinman said:
isn't there outfits in Minaki that cater to musky guys??
Yes we go to "sunset point lodge" for the walleye opener and almost always get one or more muskie while casting for bass and pike (it sucks pulling your bait away from an out of season giant) . I also go there for a weekend or two in the summer and the muskie fishing is very good for size but we are lucky if we raise three in a day and boat one. The size of the fish in that area give you a real chance at a 50 incher. We are ready to sacrafice size for numbers on next years trip. Last year we fished Rough Rock lake just north of Minaki and although the winnipeg River is a great multi species fishery we are looking for something knew.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts

cottagesincanada.com indian lake cottage. This is at Indian lake chain, but cheaper and more private than the lodge I think. Rented cabins there a couple years ago. Owner's name was Max. Good cabins, waterfront with beach for kids, dock, affordable rates. Going back this spring again with a group of couples. Not sure if he still rents out boats, we brought our own.

·
Registered
85 Posts

enjoy your trip.....there are many lakes in the area that can produce some good numbers....you are on the right trac!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

CrankyCraig said:
enjoy your trip.....there are many lakes in the area that can produce some good numbers....you are on the right trac!
Thanks Craig. I sent you an email last week with this similar question. I was glad to hear the Indian Lake chain has some bigger fish not just numbers. We are deciding between there and Cliff lake. Cliff seems to look better for the other speceis it offers. It may come down to which camp has better portage lakes with boats cached on them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

You can try Canyon Lake it's just down the road from Indian great Muskie and Walleye Lake
I've been there for 35 years always had great luck. The problem last fall the water
was really low.
I know of a great place you can rent PM me if you more info
Darrell

·
Registered
77 Posts

Two of the best Musky lakes with drive to lodges NW Ontario would be Eagle Lake (obviously) and Dinorwic Lake. IMHO

·
Registered
94 Posts

If you're looking for numbers I would say staying at Bill Sandy's Blackhawk resort would be your best move. The area has amazing numbers and Bill is hands down the best, most experienced guide on LOTW. Even if you don't get him for a guide, the knowledge you'll gain from just speaking with him in camp will be priceless. He's been guiding practically everyday of his life from when he was 9 years old and puts more then 350 Muskies in the boat every year... He's a god. ...there's a reason Musky Hunter holds it's annual University of Esox there.

Lac Seul is your best shot at a 55+" fish west of the great lakes. Decent numbers... but not a "numbers lake". Moosehorn is a great place to stay on Seul and Ben Bettie is a great guide.

Eagle can be hit or miss, but has a great shot at a 50... Staying at Andy Myers Lodge is a great option if you want to learn about the lake and Musky fishing. Their crew works very hard to put everyone staying at the lodge on Muskies.

Always remember.... The proof is in the pictures!!!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts

Spent the May long weekend in Nestor Falls, Ontario at Lakeview Lodge. Fished Steven's Bay area and landed perch, bass, walleye, pike, and musky. Attaching pics of map with launch and hi-lighted in green the area I caught muskies. Next trip in August long planning to go to Vermillion Bay because the fishing there for me is second to none. Might go to Caribou Falls during September long weekend.

Attachments

Reactions: WNL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Thanks we were in snake bay and we did o.k. but not great. Thanks for all of the replies..

·
Registered
64 Posts

Dude:

Muskie season remains closed until the third saturday in June; to proclaim on a message board that you were fishing AND landing them is so not cool. And presuming that is a photo is of you holding up an illegally caught, out of season fish, well.....

Ontario MNR would have a heyday with this stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Every summer we fish the indian lake chain end of July/beg of Aug during our family vacation. We fish mostly evenings, and mostly for Walleye (which is pretty good for numbers but not big average size). We are not seasoned Muskie anglers, but are learning and trying every year for Muskies. There are many hard core Muskie anglers on the chain as you can see by the boats most are Muskie fishermen. We have had many follows over the last few years and even some on but have yet to land one. But we are rookies for Muskie. We have seen some very large ones follow 40+ inches, that have gotten us very excited. I would say this is Muskie territory as we have seen them. Chain has 6 or so lakes to explore but is not big water, small, narrow and protected and not much traffic. Nice sand beaches on Indian and Edward. Have nothing to compare it too but thought i would let you know our experience anyway.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts