Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! How’s everyone doing?
looking at hitting the hard water with the family for a nice king winter camping hot tent sleep and hopefully good fishing. Now with that being said does anyone have and points they could give a person as it will be our first time ice fishing this lake. Not asking for honey holes or anything just a little advice!
thanks!
happy fishing and tight lines! 🍻

·
Registered
880 Posts
By the sounds of it not many guys on here fish up there much. I have fished the Flin Flon area for the past 30 years and have gone up multiple times in a year.
I have only fished Athapap once when they had their annual Burbot festival. That’s what got me hooked on poor man’s lobster. It’s a huge lake with ice shacks scattered all over. There’s open water areas especially in and near the channels. Not sure what info the Lodge at Bakers will give you.
Hope you get some info and good luck if you go.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the sounds of it not many guys on here fish up there much. I have fished the Flin Flon area for the past 30 years and have gone up multiple times in a year.
I have only fished Athapap once when they had their annual Burbot festival. That’s what got me hooked on poor man’s lobster. It’s a huge lake with ice shacks scattered all over. There’s open water areas especially in and near the channels. Not sure what info the Lodge at Bakers will give you.
Hope you get some info and good luck if you go.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 788Ci.
What depth did you fish at? Did ya have pretty good luck?

·
Registered
880 Posts
If I remember correctly it was around the 65’ mark but we were fishing for burbot specifically. Whatever fish you caught you donated to the organizers who cooked it up for all who attended. I have fished Wabishkok Lake for lake trout but access is only by sled. We have caught trout in the 70’ and even up to 20’ level ice fishing only.
As far as bait we mainly use jigs and shiners. I have jigged a five of diamonds too with luck. Wabishkok also offers walleye in the shallows after 5pm and this is mid to late March.
There’s so many lakes and Kisseynew is another good walleye lake. Big jacks too.

Winter rig: 2016 AC Bearcat XT 570. Eskimo F1 Rocket, Eskimo 3i, Humminbird Helix 5 ice, 798Ci HD SI

·
Registered
1 Posts
Been a few years, but there should be a truck trail out to Windmill Island and if really lucky out to Eight mile. Majority of the shacks will be at Windmill, but if you can get to the shacks at Eight mile just start drilling holes and check depth. Try and find an edge of the reef, preferably one that slopes somewhat gradually. I think it will come up to 55’ or so and in places drop off to about 90+ feet, depth can change 10’ over a short distance. Do the same at Windmill if you can’t venture further out. Good luck, try jigs and sucker belly or deadlines and smelts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts