Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big thanks to Blackwater Cats for telling me about this site. I had grown tired of the constant fighting on MB Anglers.

I'm happy to be back and looking forward to a great ice season ahead.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
you will like this site, BS free

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
great to have you a board buddy...going to have to repeat this in the upcoming summer...lots of ice fishing to do first though...

Catfishhunter and MoneyWizard lock horns on Brereton

Hey all,

Well we were at it again. This time I figured I'd let the hunter fish on his home turf to see if he could win some of his money back. The games were set...$10 for most MA Crappie...$10 for most Walleye over 12"... $10 for keeper Walleye and Crappie combined, and also an obligatory $10 for any and all MA Walleye or Jack.

Of course we came up with this after I caught an MA Crappie after being on the water for about 5 mins. This fish for some reason wasn't allowed. Confused CFH then put the pressure on with a slab of a Crappie only to have it get off within feet of the boat. I can atest it was a beauty of a fish...So unfortunate we couldn't land it! Very Happy

So after about 15 minutes on the water we made the executive decision to abandon what was proving to be very productive fishing in search of what would prove to be, elusive Walleye.

We went to one of CFH's favorite points and after 45 mins and no action moved on. We then went to spot #2. This spot would prove to be our most productive of the day. After about 2 hours we had 4 keepers eyes bagged and CFH was leading the event 3-1 and in line for $20.

Time for MoneyWizard to get down to work. After tying on my secret lure, which CFH refered to as a down-rigger jig, the game was on. The Wiz went on to catch the next 3 eyes as well as multiple Perch of decent size and mid sized Jack. Of course all to CFH's dismay. He on the other hand was able to catch multiple snags and lose his last, prized flasher jig. It looked like victory would be mine!

Then I made a crucial mistake! Mad In going for the knockout punch I rigged up a spinner, even though we weren't trolling. My ego had become inflated and it was a significant mistep. Unbeknowst to me CFH had rigged up a "HOME MADE" flasher jig setup!!! He then proceeded to bag 3 eyes in quick succesion and take a two fish lead!! It was unimaginable! The thought of giving CFH any money was just to much to bear! I quickly abandoned my much malinged spinner idea and copied CFH's flasher concept. Within moments I was able to pull back within 1. The next 30 mins were very intense with both CFH and I missing fish. Then through much effort I was able to land the tying fish. This fish, the eqaulizing fish was my most satisfying fish of the day. Very Happy

At this stage we figured we would go back to catch those easy Crappie. Shocked About 2 hours and multiple spots equalled to NADA! We shoulda stuck with them from the start. Oh well...lesson learnt.

All in all we boated over 30 fish. 20 eyes although they all didn't meet the 12" min for counting. 1 Crappie 2 Jack and some decent Perch.

The only MA was the Crappie, and of course it didn't count in the cash games.

No MA walleye or jack, and we tied on the other two events. So...even steven for the day. To close in my books.

Next time we will lock horns on my home turf. Of course victory will be mine!!

Ian

CFH will post some pics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts