Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy fellas,

I haven't found much information about long-casting fishing in Canada (I think it's also called surf-fishing).

I watched some videos of guys in UK practicing this method - casting as far as 200-300 yards and fetching monster cats and carps. Well it looked interesting I might say.

Is anyone here familiar with this type of fishing? If so, what kind of equipment is being used? (Google search answers were mostly like "you will look like an idiot with that 16 feet rod..." - not too informative)

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've done a lot of surf fishing with a 12' rod and doubt that I'm getting out much more than 100 yds. Not sure what kind of outfit could triple that distance but a longer rod and more slippery line would help.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Free2Fish - have you actually caught any bigger game when casting that far? How do you even feel the bite with such a long line/braid?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've had big fish on that took off for deep water and couldn't be stopped. I've also been bitten off by sharks a few times. No big fish caught...biggest was an 8 lb black drum. A friend caught a 35 lber.

No problem feeling the bites with braid.

·
Registered
292 Posts
On lake wpg you can sometimes see huge carp surfacing a ways out there and with a nice euro setup you can reach them.i have a few carp type set ups with the distance reels and long rods and you can really bomb stuff out there from shore. With a braid and a decent spoon or heavy crank you can target w bite bass from long range as well.
Never really noticed issues with feeling the bite, I use braid

1 - 6 of 6 Posts