Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never used live bait at all before. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it on the dead stick, or even their jigging rod for that matter, and how do you properly "hook" the minnow on? Also what kind of hook do you use for live minnows?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I think a lot of people do that, especially in hard water season. There's a recent post by Hard Water Maniac that gives a good description of how to fish with them. I'll post a link if I can find it. As for hooks, I use a snelled hook right below the dorsal fin if I fish it with split shots. I also, fish them on a jig head and have seen people fish them with spoons.

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
I've never used live bait at all before. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it on the dead stick, or even their jigging rod for that matter, and how do you properly "hook" the minnow on? Also what kind of hook do you use for live minnows? Thank you.
you need a sharp hook. Hooked just under the skin at the dorsal. On a jig they will struggle and call in the biggies!

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
Live minnows are perfect for the dead stick because, well, it's no longer a dead stick. There are a few different ways to hook them that will keep them feisty for long periods, and possibly multiple fish. I've seen guys hook livies through the tail, dorsal, through the mouth and out the top of the head, and barely hooked through the lips. Fish can and will be caught on any of those rigs. Lately I've been threading the hook through the mouth and out one side of the gill, not actually piercing any of the minnows flesh and using a small piece of rubber grub (same idea as a "bait button") to keep the lil guy from slipping off the hook. Experiment and you'll find what works best.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A long time ago I saw an older guy clip the bottom 1/2 of the back fin off a live minnow after he baited it on a simple J hook and before dropping it down to depth. He said it made the minnow "flutter" more which sends out more and different vibrations. Makes some sense. I tried it and have never gone back. Anybody else try this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Live minnows are perfect for the dead stick because, well, it's no longer a dead stick. There are a few different ways to hook them that will keep them feisty for long periods, and possibly multiple fish. I've seen guys hook livies through the tail, dorsal, through the mouth and out the top of the head, and barely hooked through the lips. Fish can and will be caught on any of those rigs. Lately I've been threading the hook through the mouth and out one side of the gill, not actually piercing any of the minnows flesh and using a small piece of rubber grub (same idea as a "bait button") to keep the lil guy from slipping off the hook. Experiment and you'll find what works best.
I like this method too. Less damage to the minnow means it'll live (and struggle) longer. Thanks for the tip on the rubber grub! I was tired of catch/buy/ release.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like this method too. Less damage to the minnow means it'll live (and struggle) longer. Thanks for the tip on the rubber grub! I was tired of catch/buy/ release.
They make a cool gadget called the bait button found at the hole. It dispenses small rubber discs onto your hook. May seem like another money grab, but you won't have to worry about fumbling with cold hands with a tiny piece of grub/ rubber band. I have mine attached to a retractable carabiner on my jacket so it's always handy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bait Buttons Canada

They make a cool gadget called the bait button found at the hole. It dispenses small rubber discs onto your hook. May seem like another money grab, but you won't have to worry about fumbling with cold hands with a tiny piece of grub/ rubber band. I have mine attached to a retractable carabiner on my jacket so it's always handy.
Thx for the support. Bait Buttons coming soon to more locations in Manitoba.
The fishin' hole has them as well as Bait Boyz, Pro-am, Enns Brothers, 2 River Boat Works.Coming to Cabelas as well.
Paul www.baitbuttons.ca

Attachments

·
Premium Member
570 Posts
That won't do!!! You need the bait button!! ��

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.