Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I'm hoping to target some Carps this open water season. I remember catching them when I was a teen along the red river bank by the disraeli bridge. But it was just sheer luck. Was just using your typical pickeral rig baited with salted minnows.

So if anyone can offer me some tips to target these fish I'd greatly appreciate it. Locations, bait, rigs, etc etc.

Thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol Markus I actually subbed to that channel. Aaron's great.
Just didn't see his carp video. I'll look it up.

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
If one of the resident Carp experts here sees this request they may be willing to offer up a few suggestions for you on techniques and locations!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Where the floodway meets the Red in lockport during the first part/half of summer is filled with carp. I've always wanted to fish that using Aaron's carp tactics. Hopefully this summer.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
pretty much any creek around the city will have them. I like to chum the area with whole kernel corn, and just use a small egg sinker and a hook fully loaded with corn, cast into chummed area and leave bail open and watch your line.

Look for Uncut's Plan "C" for Carp video.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips/help.:thumb:

I actually live very close to bunn's creek. I bike that path every other day in the summer. I'll give that location a go for sure.

Can hardly wait for open water season to get underway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
At the right times throughout the year, bunns is a great fishery (mostly spring). The only problem that might occur this year is that the water is rather low in the red, on the last scouting mission I went on (about 2 weeks ago) I saw that the creek was actually running down a muddy slope and into the red. This would make it rather difficult I think for the carp to enter the creek butt... hopefully its gotten better since then. The carp can be a very finicky fish, but tons of fun to catch. I have had the most success with mono and a very very small but strong circle hook. Go get some of the 99 cent bread from superstore (like a baguette but fat and fluffy in the middle) and simply hook a moderately sized piece onto the end of your line and your ready to go. It takes some getting used to as you obviously cant cast far with just bread (but its not a very big creek), and the bread doesn't stay on very long (but hey, its super cheap bait). Most importantly the carp will come and suck in your bait (they may need several attempts), and once it has got swallowed it, give the carp a few seconds to start moving away and then simply start reeling. Its lots of fun and a great challenge on a snaggy creek with lighter gear!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts