Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've decided I am going to, for the first time, devote some real time to trout fishing this weekend. Being a little green when it comes to trout fishing, I have done some research, and I believe that I have all I need for bait and wait methods. But, I have fishing A.D.D. and tend to change techniques often if what I am doing isn't working. Long story short, I need some artificial lures in my arsenal to give me some options. I've got a couple spinners, but, my fishing A.D.D. is waaaaay worse than that. What are some Rainbow trout must have's?

·
Registered
781 Posts
well for me you cant go wrong with a f-5 , f-7.f-9.and 11.. rapalas...all work great...and in trout colors...also flies...big wolly buggers like 2 to 3 inchers...and other flies also work good ...now you will have to be trolling those...and of course spoons... and a 5 of diamounds ..len thompson ...has caught a wack of trout...also holografic finished spoons...blue fox.. johnson,cleos... make some nice ones...
good luck with your bows...

maniac

·
Banned
2,828 Posts
I can't add much to what HWM said. Exept I have really good luck with purple meps with hair tips. And yellow bladed meps tipped with a small rubber minnow.

A 5 of diamond is almost a sure thing to hook a rainbow most days. Works real good on browns as well. But browns want bigger lures with a faster retrieve.

I fish browns and bows a lot.... And I say without a doubt that THE biggest mistake people make when fishing those trout... They use walleye techniques. The second biggest mistake they make... They present their presentation to "wimpy". Trout are a fast moving fish. You HAVE to speed up your retrieve if you want to hook a big bow or brown! I can't stress this enough.

Another thing I notice people doing wrong when targeting trout.... They don't change it up enough. 15-20 casts should be absolutely max! If no hit then change the lure.

I'll leave you with this. In order of importance... Firetiger. Perch. Green. :nothingtoadd:

·
Premium Member
1,852 Posts
well for me you cant go wrong with a f-5 , f-7.f-9.and 11.. rapalas...all work great...and in trout colors...also flies...big wolly buggers like 2 to 3 inchers...and other flies also work good ...now you will have to be trolling those...and of course spoons... and a 5 of diamounds ..len thompson ...has caught a wack of trout...also holografic finished spoons...blue fox.. johnson,cleos... make some nice ones...
good luck with your bows...

maniac
This^^^
All I will add is a lure - Little Cleo.
Raps are the lure of choice for rainbows and brookies up here, followed by spoons.

·
Premium Member
1,539 Posts
We had some really good success with the Storm Deep Rattlin Thin Fins last year up at Footprint. 2 days 2/3 hours each day with 2 dozen plus Rainbows in total. Only a handful were under 18".

Can't wait to get back up there in September.

·
Registered
707 Posts
had really good success this spring at bower with the Kamlooper spoons. particularly the gold and orange with the lady bug spots. it is a heavier spoon and casts far but in the water its action is strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
trout fishing

I myself love to fish trout ,from Lake trout to Brown trout. One thing one should keep in mind,be patient and keep the noise down.There will be a time you catch rainbows 5/6 in less than one hour and other times 1 all day. Don't give up it will happen.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
I know little about those trout fishes LOL, but can offer info PM me. Much of what I have read on this thread is great, but not absolute.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
If shore casting, I really like using a size 3 spinner... you can reel it in at a pretty slow clip, and since a lot of these fish tend to swoop in at the last minute, it gives you that couple extra seconds of action before you're on shore.. with the spoons I've had a lot of last minute follows but there wasn't enough time for the fish to seal the deal..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts