Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for some cats last night. Delayed the start a bit due to the storm but after it passed it turned out to be a pretty nice evening. Started somewhere between 9 and 10 and they started hitting right away. Ended up with 12ish or so with most of them being caught between 10 and 12. From 12 to 130 it slowed a bit. Most of them were on the small side with probably only 1 maybe 2 of them over 30 inches. Even though they were small they were all pretty scrappy and put up a good fight. All in all a pretty good night. Oh yeah, shrimp for bait.

G

·
Yeah the smaller ones are way more aggressive with alot more attitude. More head shakes,water breaks, and rolls. The bigger ones tend to let their weight do all the work. They are fun to catch no matter what size you drag them in at. Sounds like you had a good night and way to show off your true passion by braving the storm.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if sitting in my truck under the bridge to avoid hail damage is considered "braving" the storm. It was more hoping that it wouldn't last. We figured that we made the trip so we might as well stick it out for a bit. Plus I would have been pretty choked if I would have driven back to the city and found out that the rain stopped shortly after.

As soon as they would hit last night you could tell if it was going to be a smaller one. The smaller ones would fight right from the start. You are right though, a lot of fun to catch.

It's funny, until I started fishing for cats I would have killed to pull in a 10-12 pound fish. Now pulling in a fish that size is almost a dissappointment(well not really) but I think you know what I mean.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hi guys! went out sunday am and caught nada!? im still trying to catch my first cat! any suggestions on when and where to go ? (off shore) I was using raw shrimo with heads and still nothing :( really wanna catch one! thanks :)

G

·
Try fishing the west side of the river. Keep with the shrimp. And go at night. Keep you bait in close to the shore 20-30 feet max.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty much what Nvisible said. Couldn't really tell you exactly how far off shore we were casting cause we couldn't see it land but we were definately getting more luck closer in. We would just gauge it by how much the rod was bending. If I couldn't leave the spool free without losing line I would bring it in and cast a little closer. I have only been out in the mornings a few times this year but it's definately been slower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ok will do! Im going to try night time and hopefully have more luck! i was out at 630am on sunday and got nothing so i will try night this time. wish me luck! i'd love to break in the new rod :)

G

·
I have been buried in work all week and would love to get out for some kitties soon. PM me maybe I can take you out and put you right on top of some sumo's this week.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went out a few weeks ago and had a line in the water by around 7ish. Had nothing until around 930 then pulled in a few. I have had good and bad luck just about every time of day( aside from my 2 night outings which have been great). I actually prefer being out in the morning. Not too much that beats being out on a quiet morning with the riverbank to yourself.

Hope you have some luck and pull a few in. Just to warn you though, once you pull in your first one prepare to be addicted.

G

·
Boltsfan said:
Hope you have some luck and pull a few in. Just to warn you though, once you pull in your first one prepare to be addicted.
I second that.

I have fished plenty of early mornings in lockport. Of course my early morning in lockport is usually on the end of an all nighter. hit the bank after dinner home in time for breakfast. Nothing beats it specially if the kitties are playing along.

·
Registered
7 Posts
well guys, i went out last night guys and still no luck! :( went at night, raw shrimps with heads on and west side and still nothing. I saw a few others across the river that didnt seem to be having any luck either. Im determined though! i'll go back out this week day and night i want my kitty! lol

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just about made it out last night. Fatigue and the reality of getting up for work in the morning kicked in so I stayed home. Hang in there. Last year was my first year fishing for cats and there is definately a trial and error period to find out what you should be doing. I went out one day about a month ago and tried about 4-5 different spots in a morning and got skunked. Tried deep, shallow and everything in between.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How did you make out izumi jr?

Went out last Tuesday night. Fished from around 9 - 130ish. Buddy landed around a 33 incher within the first 20 minutes. Had decent luck after that. Probably got 10-15 on shore between the 2 of us. Lots of small ones though. Had to take a second look on a few of them. Some of them looked like mid size walleye they were so small.

Lost what seemed to be a good sized one. Left the bale open with the clicker on. Rod started bending then the clicker goes crazy. Closed the bale and went to set the hook and the line snapped. Drag wasn't very tight so not sure exactly what happened.

Oh well. All in all still a pretty good night.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nothing! :( !! i tried till about midnight. oh well maybe next time. I went out this wknd to but nothing but a little drum? was out by breezy. (its open but the road is rough) Heard the walleye were biting. All we caught was a little drum LOL!oh well maybe this weekend. I think the walleye are coming before october though this year so i'm going to head out every weekend and try for those. I wont give up just yet on my master kitty, i'll probably catch him when i least expect it.

did you go out this weekend?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Was supposed to go out yesterday. Mostly for a boat ride but was hoping to get some fishing in. My spidey senses were tingling a bit so I put the earmuffs on before we left and ended up having some issues with the boat. Hadn't had it out since the beginning of July so I just wanted to make sure. Glad I did. Rather be disappointed than stranded on the red.

Was going to go out this morning but had a few things to do before my little guys first day of school tomorrow. Hopefully get out a few times in the next couple weeks.

Fished Bunn's Creek with my little guy after the boat wouldn't go and caught a couple small pike. Had plenty of bites and a couple followers. Enough to keep him happy at least.

Don't give up that kitty will come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
nice! :) Ya stranded on the red is nooo good! where abouts is Bunns Creek? I've never heard of that? There was quite a few people at the steel bridge this wknd to. We went out super early in hopes of going to breezy but as i said the road was brutal. Fished just before there.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bunns Creek is just north of Bonner in North Kildonan. It comes off the Red and runs under Henderson Highway. Was fishing on the Red last year and as I was walking back to my truck I heard fish jumping in the creek. Walked down and threw a spoon in and within a few casts had a pike. Took my little guy back the next day and hammered pike for about 2 hours.

It's tough there this year because of the flood. Almost every spot we fished is still mucky since it's been under water most of the summer. I wouldn't fish there by myself but it keeps my little guy busy and as long as he's casting and catching he's happy. He doesn't quite have the patience for throwing a line in and sitting there waiting for the action. Hopefully that will come in a couple years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh yes, i have heard of ppl fishing there before. thats awesome. yeah it was really mucky where we to last weekend. Should have worn my rubber boots! ha! might be getting a boat this weekend so i am really looking forward to going out especially for the walleye run :D thats funny about your little guy, im the same when it comes to patience. if im not catching within an hour im already scoping out spots to move to, ha

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Had a moderately successful morning today. Fished just north of the locks on the west side from 730ish til just about 930. Landed 5 in total with a couple more pretty big hits. Nothing to write home about length wise but the first few were pretty thick. Was going to stay longer but the bite had slowed and had some running around to do before work. Snags weren't too bad, only lost 1 rig. Caught them both shallow and deep with shrimp.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts