Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all
This may be ridiculous but Im from Manitou,MB and i have never been able to flush out the largemouth at Mary Jane my whole life:mad::mad::mad:
Does anyone have any tips or lure choices that they use or even any stories of largies being caught in 2014. This summer is my goal season to catch at least one of these so if anyone could help me out id be extremely grateful!
:grin:Fish on!

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Largie baits, in no particular order:
-jig n' trailer
-spinnerbait
-soft plastic jerk bait
-hard body jerk bait
-crankbait
-frog
-popper
-walk the dog type topwater
-creature bait (like a lizard or ribbon tail work)
-stick worm
..there are others of course but that's the basics

Getting to know when to use each is the fun part.
Our northern Largies are very rarely below 10'.
They are almost ALWAYS related to some kind of weeds.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know your pain Tfosp. I'm from Morden and that lake is my Achilles Heel! I can't even pull crappie out of there (and that is one fish I DO know how to target).

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
Rebel Pop-R Silver-Blue worked for me. I also got some decent Crappies on it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Haha me too! Fished it a few times, never landed a fish there. Saw some 18+ dead ones after the winter kill a few years back. Yes we measured it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was there yesterday, no bass, 2 walleye and one small crappie. Fishing was not good! Whats happening here, I thought this place was a great place to fish?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you get the perfect conditions you can find great crappy fishing drifing with jigs but them largies are just dicks

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Out of these species in our region (Manitoba/NW Ontario): Walleye, Pike, Musky Smallmouth, Crappie and Largemouth, from most challenging to least challenging to get quality fish---

1) Musky
2) Largemouth
3) Smallmouth
3) Crappie
4) Walleye
5) Pike

Largies arent a numbers game. Even the best of the best, fishing on good Largie water (Lake of the Woods), on a good day, get 8-10 Largemouth bites in a day.

If you're looking for Largies from shore you are severely handicapping yourself on an already challenging species.

They are damn addictive once you start to figure them out tho.

try frogs in mid summer when the weeds are thick. they may not end up in the boat but you should at least find out where they're living. Telling the difference from Pike *swipes* and charges from slurps and bulges on the surface of a Largie will help figure them out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
It is a challenging lake. We would try the lake once a year for a few years to try and find largies. We did alright for crappie, and caught the odd walleye, but never any bass. Then in 2012 we tried it once more. My buddy and I tied the day, each catching 10 largemouth and each catching a master. Top waters seemed to be the ticket that day.

We tried last year, and caught only one 10" bass. We had heard rumours of winter kill, and based on the fishing last year, that may be true. Good luck if you try it out. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
It is a challenging lake. We would try the lake once a year for a few years to try and find largies. We did alright for crappie, and caught the odd walleye, but never any bass. Then in 2012 we tried it once more. My buddy and I tied the day, each catching 10 largemouth and each catching a master. Top waters seemed to be the ticket that day.

We tried last year, and caught only one 10" bass. We had heard rumours of winter kill, and based on the fishing last year, that may be true. Good luck if you try it out. Let us know how you do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Swear I just read an article on your adventures yesterday which has me researching Mary Jane. I am going to give it a shot this summer as I have never caught a bass period.

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
Swear I just read an article on your adventures yesterday which has me researching Mary Jane. I am going to give it a shot this summer as I have never caught a bass period.
If I may make a suggestion..... don't start your pursuit of Bass at Mary Jane Res. Might turn you off the whole deal.......

I would start with Smallmouth in eastern MB or NW Ontario. Far more abundant and Smallies are more than Largies, typically, in how you can pursue them.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If I may make a suggestion..... don't start your pursuit of Bass at Mary Jane Res. Might turn you off the whole deal.......

I would start with Smallmouth in eastern MB or NW Ontario. Far more abundant and Smallies are more than Largies, typically, in how you can pursue them.
good point. but M.J. is only an hour drive though for me and an easy day trip as i live in western manitoba. any day fishing, catch or no catch is a good day for this guy :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
If you're in Boissevain then why the heck aren't you fishing William if all you want is a bass? Your chances of catching a bass are WAY higher there than MJ and chances are you'll catch multiple fish. Granted they will be smallies and not largemouth, but you don't seem to be too pick in that respect. Not to mention its all of a 15min drive!

·
Registered
522 Posts
.....you are close to Deloraine Reservoir also.....some really nice smallmouth bass there too!

·
Registered
707 Posts
If you're in Boissevain then why the heck aren't you fishing William if all you want is a bass? Your chances of catching a bass are WAY higher there than MJ and chances are you'll catch multiple fish. Granted they will be smallies and not largemouth, but you don't seem to be too pick in that respect. Not to mention its all of a 15min drive!
.....you are close to Deloraine Reservoir also.....some really nice smallmouth bass there too!
Hey good heads up on lake William, I am going to go and try it on my day off this week.

I will have to ask the gf's brother were Deloraine Reservoir is as I am not familiar with anything really west of Boissevain. NVMD Google Maps is my friend. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
6 Posts
deloraine was excellent yesterday.. lots of bass, we did best trolling lindy rigs with leaches in 8-10 feet of water..

Hey good heads up on lake William, I am going to go and try it on my day off this week.

I will have to ask the gf's brother were Deloraine Reservoir is as I am not familiar with anything really west of Boissevain. NVMD Google Maps is my friend. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
707 Posts
deloraine was excellent yesterday.. lots of bass, we did best trolling lindy rigs with leaches in 8-10 feet of water..
good to hear! I have not made it out there as of yet. I have been busy at work. Did a quick drive to The Pas to visit my parents and got out on Rocky Lake and finally got my first Bass and many more after. They are a thrill to catch!.
hopefully will get out ot Deloraine late august as I am off to Yellowstone on Wednesday for a week then back up to The Pas for four days of fishing and camping when I get back from Montana. My truck is going to hate me after this journey lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts