Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've been going to a lodge up near Reindeer Lake for many years. Just last year we caught 3 or 4 lake trout that looked to have lamphrey scars on them. Quarter sized, nearly perfectly round scars always couple inches behind the gills on the side of the fish.

Never seen that before. We typically catch a hundred or so lake trout over the week so it's odd we never saw that before.

I've seen no reports / info on lamphreys that far north.

Is that what they were or could something else be causing those scars?

Unfortunately we didn't take pictures but will do if we see that again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
We've been going to a lodge up near Reindeer Lake for many years. Just last year we caught 3 or 4 lake trout that looked to have lamphrey scars on them. Quarter sized, nearly perfectly round scars always couple inches behind the gills on the side of the fish.

Never seen that before. We typically catch a hundred or so lake trout over the week so it's odd we never saw that before.

I've seen no reports / info on lamphreys that far north.

Is that what they were or could something else be causing those scars?

Unfortunately we didn't take pictures but will do if we see that again.

Thanks.
Interesting - I have caught Lake Sturgeon with Silver Lamprey attached as far north as the mouth of the Nelson River near Hudson Bay - but as far as I know, there are no lamprey of any kind in the upper Churchill River system. Even if there were lamprey in the upper Churchill River, as I recall, the outflow of Reindeer Lake goes over a series of impassible falls (upstream impassible) as it comes into the Churchill.

If you have indeed found evidence of lamprey, it would be a large range expansion. [pretty cool if you are a fish nerd like myself] If you go back and see scars, please take some photographs. The scars from lamprey are usually near the head or pelvic fins and are about the size of a nickel. If you happen to catch a lamprey in Reindeer Lake, freeze it, or put it in alcohol. It would be a very interesting find.

If there were lamprey, it would likely be Silver or Chestnut - both of which do not have any lasting effect on their host. It is only Sea Lamprey that are a concern from a fish mortality perspective.

Thanks for question.

Derek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK will take pics and obviously keep one if find one still attached. Go first week of June so be a while...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts