Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

Lake Winnipeg

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  precious 
#1 ·
Hard to believe the weather forecasters, calling for a southerly wind yesterday and the lake was like glass most of the day.
Hit the water with the lovely wife by 8:00 and off the water by 4:45. These a are the days that I find are usually the hardest to find and locate Walleye for myself. First location put four in the boat in about 45 minutes with making a few small moves. After that I headed of to a location about a kilometre away. Here until 11:30 had steady action with over 45 walleye with a number around 25” and two over 28”. My wife also had decent action but was not picking up the light bite.
After it slowed down at 11:30 we made small moves in the same location and still manage to find walleye but they were really hugging the bottom. With this we also picked up a couple of perch, number of sauger and also a ten pound catfish. Just because we were getting a bit lonely out there with no boats staying around us we headed back to a spot just south of our first spot. Here we were making fish but forgetful me after tying a new heavier jig on my wife’s line the night before left them in the ledge!!! Getting old and should be making a list!! With 1/2 ounce jig I was picking up the light bites and picked up a number of decent sized walleye with one that was a 27 1/2” golden brown which was strikingly different to the rest. Nice to be out on such a nice day still and to catch a few fish was a bonus!!

Water Vertebrate Boat Sky Fisherman
Water Sky Cloud Boat Outdoor recreation

See less See more
#5 ·
Surprisingly on the water it wasn’t bad. Once we got off and loading the boat and filleting the fish you did notice the heat. I am still surprised with the lack of proper filleting stations on Lake Winnipeg on Provincial campgrounds. Go up north and they have large enclosed structures with lighting and nice tables with electrical and running water. You pay decent money to launch your boats on poorly kept ramps so we’re does this money go to!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.