Manitoba Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at my parents place for the weekend(silver harbour area) and the fishies were biting. Technically we fished from shore as well, but mostly from canoe. We caught a few walleye, sauger, tons of big perch, drum, and catfish. The kids had a ton of fun with the drum and perch. :fish2: We ranged from 6-15 fow and Sunday was our best day.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Been fishing the SW side for a few weeks.
With a little consistent weather from the W or SW the action has been good.
Large numbers of Drum and big Perch ... through in some Sauger (with a mix of Walleye).

Can't say the Walleye are stacking up. Its a little to early for that. The surface water temperature is still a little warm (70). Should start to cool of soon though.

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Kayak fishing today (Sunday Sept 11)
1-2' rolling waves.
3 hours
2 Silver Bass

Buddy was out fishing on Saturday and he reported good Perch, Sauger, and Walleye action.

G

·
I saw the latest post by Dream-Finder and thought please god don't be about unmarked fishing nets in pine falls. LOL Joking

I have never been Kayak fishing before. That has to be a bit of a challenge. Specially for someone my size. Do they make plus sized men Kayak's? :lol:

·
Banned
2,212 Posts
Dude, I wouldn't do that twice. But if you want to talk about the Provincial Election ... get your 'lock' button ready. :)

Kayak fishing is a blast, especially when you're using light tackle.
I've been using a 24" Ice Fishing rod and reel combo.
You really have to take a swipe when setting the hook.
A 'Medium' action Icefishing rod has no where near the backbone of a typical open water rod.

I've seen your posts on Cats.
Now that would be a blast!

Kayak sizes.
Got a 11' kids 'sit on' with a load rating of 325 lb. so no problem even for health guys. Been fishing from larger boats for a number of years ... but fishing from the YAK is really 'meet and greet' your catch.

In addition, no fancy launch required, no boating registration, no fuel or maintenance costs, no worries about rocks and best of all ... no room for the wife :lol:

G

·
Actually it is not that far fetched of an idea. I met a guy this year who actually was float tubing kitties in the spillway. I met a guy last year who use to take a 6' Kodiac raft and launch at Stu's in the am and float and anchor his way thru out the day and get picked up in Selkirk. I have not tried either but have seen the pretty respectful results. I think with this years water levels and current it is a bit dangerous but once all the curtains are up and the current slows down a bit I bet it is a blast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts