Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,805 Posts
I find a deadstick to live up to it's name-sake on big windy....dead. Waste of time when running and gunning for the most part. it might get 3 fish out of 20+.

However, on LOTW I've seen a deadstick and a livie outfish entire tackle boxes

·
Registered
882 Posts
Upnorth, just out of curiosity, what type of deadstick do you use?

And if you could recommend a good deadstick for Walleye, I'd greatly appreciate it. Any experience with the Thorne Bros. deadstick rods??

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
Upnorth, just out of curiosity, what type of deadstick do you use? And if you could recommend a good deadstick for Walleye, I'd greatly appreciate it. Any experience with the Thorne Bros. deadstick rods??
i have two: thorne bros deadstick with a hidden hood handle, 28", tucr( tuned up custom rods) deadstick, foam split handle, 30". The tucr makes a kick ass perch rod too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Wonderful. Thanks! Any preference on either? They're priced fairly close.

Also, for you deadsticking pros out there....any preference on length? A designated deadstick rod 36" or so long sounds great to me in theory (cue inappropriate jokes here), but all my ice rods have been 28" or less.

·
Banned
5,260 Posts
Wonderful. Thanks! Any preference on either? They're priced fairly close. Also, for you deadsticking pros out there....any preference on length? A designated deadstick rod 36" or so long sounds great to me in theory (cue inappropriate jokes here), but all my ice rods have been 28" or less.
my go to is the 30". If you want to pop over and see both for yourself, your more than welcome.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I find a deadstick to live up to it's name-sake on big windy....dead. Waste of time when running and gunning for the most part. it might get 3 fish out of 20+. However, on LOTW I've seen a deadstick and a livie outfish entire tackle boxes
I know a few lakes too where dead stick is the only way to go... They won't even touch a moving bait...

·
Registered
781 Posts
well my choice on lotp is a live minnow on a 1/4 oz fire ball jig with stinger...and a dead stick is a waste of time on this lake also ... i will get 20 to 1 fish on the jig.. when fishing this lake i havnt set up second line for walleye in many years...it has to be rod in hand....the biggest mistake i see most anglers do is fish live bait wrong...they set it up and set it down and watch the rod tip...and they most will say the minnow does the moving around so don't move it....WRONG...you must jig... know dont whop it...because you will jerk it off...drop it in the bottom then shake bit...lift it up couple small jigs...and repeat....the fish will strike when it sees the minnow is in distress and is trying to get its self of your lure...then crunch fish on...a dead stick live minnow is worst then a dead stick frozen on lotp...you must jig...a dead stick works great for pike on this lake...with a smelt or cisco for bait and you will get big pike this way...

·
Registered
481 Posts
I was out on LW today and was using a LT for the most part. The fish seemed to be real interested it when I was aggressive with it. They would fly up off the bottom right up to it. I would then slow my presentation down and was even trying pausing it. It seemed most would just crusie back down to the bottom at that point. Then I would be aggressive and it would start all over again. We managed to get 8 to bite but had a lot more that wouldn't commit. any suggestions on what to try next time?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was out on LW today and was using a LT for the most part. The fish seemed to be real interested it when I was aggressive with it. They would fly up off the bottom right up to it. I would then slow my presentation down and was even trying pausing it. It seemed most would just crusie back down to the bottom at that point. Then I would be aggressive and it would start all over again. We managed to get 8 to bite but had a lot more that wouldn't commit. any suggestions on what to try next time?[/QUOT

Don't stop pulling away from the fish when it darts up at the lure keep pulling the bait up and away from the fish and even go faster. Watch as the fish follows and closes in on your flasher as you continue pulling the bait away from him. When the fish feels like his prey might actually get away he will committ right under the ice...easier said than done tho and it doesn't aleays work but it's something else to try. In my opinion the fish become uninterested in your presentation when you slow down or stop your bait right in front of their face hoping they bite. Try not putting the mark your bait makes on your flasher into the mark the fish is making. Instead, make the fish chase your bait and when he starts chasing don't stop, should trigger a few more of those fish into biters.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't get out there much but last trip my grandson's Disney Rod with a white jig head and salty landed about half the fish we caught. It was a deadstick as he was too busy to fish. Just one of those days you gotta love.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.