Manitoba Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ended up at lake of the prairies this weekend. Camped out at assessippi beach on the shell river. Nice little spot, had some live music and entertainment.

Put the boat in at the south end of the lake. one of the nicest boat launches I’ve been to at the provincial park. Multiple lanes and docks for launching, lots of amenities.
Friday, we ventured out in blustery conditions but managed to find reasonable shelter along the valley wall.
the fishing was awesome, never seemed to go more then 5 minutes without boating a fish.
Saturday was practically gale force winds so we didn’t fish.
Sunday we were back out nice and early and again we hammered the fish.
didn’t end up catching any trophy’s.
biggest walleye was 25” and then two tank perch

wardens we’re out checking people which was nice to see.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Very nice.

I'd like to fish LOTP someday in the boat. Have done very well there in the winter a few times but summer sounds like a lot more fun.

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk
It is a great fishery. Huge pike, walleye, took bass, and the odd channel cats. Potential for both summer and winter activity is very good.
Unfortunate it is not managed for the great tourism potential but rather only for the downstream flood protection.
Surely both could be set as priorities and managed as such.
A great fisheries biologist was lost due to the increased attention and emphasis put on the downstream flooding protection and lack of local input for managent.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Lake of the Prairies, Lake Winnipeg, Winnipeg River, Buffalo Bay, Red River. Name one body of water in Manitoba that is properly managed for tourism potential. How many good boat launches are there on Lake Winnipeg? Pine Falls, one crappy boat launch? Ever launched at Buffalo Bay? Unusable if the wind is in the wrong direction. The Provincial Government just announced that millions will be spent to aid tourism. How? Probably advertising campaigns. Civil servants sitting on Broadway who have no knowledge of the potential for tourism based on sport fishing. Disgusting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts